Brew-Stand Build - gas fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dtrain

Reaction score
Greetings!

So I almost got my single-tier stand finished. :rocking: I'm working on the black-pipe right now. The issue I'm having is connecting my 1/2" flexible pipe to orifice of the burner. The burner orifice is 3/8" flare (male) but the flexible tubing is 1/2" flare (female). I cannot find reducing fitting or adapter to connect the two.

I know that I can get a 3/8" flare flex tubing but I think that will cut down on the gas flow to the burners (I have 10" banjo burners that I will be converting to NG soon).

Any suggestions on connecting the 1/2" flare (female end) to the 3/8" flare (male)?

Thanks,
Dtrain

Have you looked at the size of the gas orifice on the burner? That hole is freaky small. The ID of 3/8" flex line looks like a humongous fire hose by comparison...

Cheers!

Can you remove the 3/8" flare fitting from the orifice? If so the other end is probably a pipe thread which you can find an adapter to go to 1/2". Otherwise, You'll have to go with 3/8 flex. I've worked with plumbing and with gas fittings for years and never run into a flare to flare adapter.

The 3/8" flare fitting looks like this and is important for the burner. I don't know if there is one that has a 1/2" flare on it.

photo.jpg

Go ahead and run the 3/8" from your 1/2" manifold to the burner, the 3/8" flare to 1/2" NPT adapters are easy to find. You'll be fine.

Or, you can try looking here. These guys are my "go to" for gs plumbing.

You'll probably have to go with a half union, coupler, half union combo to bypass the issue though.

http://www.suremarineservice.com/PlumbingFittings.aspx

Personally I'd get a different hose. You're just adding more potential for gas to leak when you keep adding joints.

Otherwise you'll have to fit a FFL x FFL reducing coupling or a couple adapters. Seems like a lot more hassle than just replacing the hose.

1/4" hose works just fine. Look at the size of the orifice and then tell me you're worried about restrictions....

P1040281.jpg

P1040282.jpg

P1040283.jpg

Note: hose in photos is for illustration only and is not gas rated. You want to use 350 psi CGA hose

thanks for the comments everyone.

It hit me this morning: If I have a 1/2 NPT to 3/8" flare valve coming from the manifold I have attach a 3/8" female to 3/8" female hose to the flare fitting on the burner. Duh!

I guess I was worried that 3/8" would affect gas pressure in some way to reduce the output of my burner.

Dtrain

It's been a while since a post on here, but i'm kind of running into a similar problem. My black pipe is fitted as 3-way manifold, brass needle valves and 1/2in npt male. i need to connect this to the same 3/8in flared orifice. Anyone know a good online supplier i could order hose from. I would like to do the same with a 3/8in hose, female to female, and a 1/2in-3/8ths reducer coming off the black pipe. Please advise.

Cheers

It's been a while since a post on here, but i'm kind of running into a similar problem. My black pipe is fitted as 3-way manifold, brass needle valves and 1/2in npt male. i need to connect this to the same 3/8in flared orifice. Anyone know a good online supplier i could order hose from. I would like to do the same with a 3/8in hose, female to female, and a 1/2in-3/8ths reducer coming off the black pipe. Please advise.

Cheers

Hey Kruuuger,

You can use this site also for the flare fittings and reducers:
http://www.portagespecialty.com/custom/Flare.html

You can use this site and they will make any size gas hose you need coming from your tank to your black pipe, or black pipe to orifice:
http://www.tejassmokers.com/lowpressureregulators.htm

You can also use these gas flex lines to go from your black pipe to your burner orifice:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/gasconnectors.html

Hope this helps,

John

Back