Brew Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunkyhops

Reaction score
I was looking around on the internet and I found this "deluxe" setup at HighGravityBrew. This is my first time brewing and I was wanting to hear yalls input on this kit. I know that there are a few more items that i need to get along with this kit but for $139.00 it seems like a pretty good deal considering it comes with 2 glass carboys. Im also wondering if anybody has orderd from HGB? Heres the kit:

6.5 Gallon "Ale Pail" Primary Fermenter with Drilled & Grommeted Lid
6.5 Gallon "Ale Pail" Bottling Bucket with Bottling Spigot
Easy Clean No-Rinse Cleanser
Airlock
Siphon & Bottling Set-up
Home Beermaking Text
Hydrometer
Bottle Brush
Twin Lever Capper
Liquid Crystal Thermometer
Bucket Clip
Equipment Instructions
Brass Bottle Washer
Carboy brush.
2 - 6 Gallon Glass Carboys
2 - 3-piece Airlocks
2 - Boun Vino Stoppers (Drilled)

Thanks for the input and help! I cant wait to get started!

That looks about right. I don't see sanitizer on there, but other than that looks good. Unless "easy cleaner" is really a sanitizer.

Looks like a good set up, don't forget a pot and burner.

In re: to your 2nd question, I ordered a conical fermenter from High Gravity and it was here in 2 days. And I ordered at like 4:45pm too. Great service, great prices, They're one of a few I like (Austin Homebrew, Midwest Supplies)

I noticed it says "siphon and bottling setup". If it is a simple plastic "cane" called a racking tube, I'd suggest upgrading to an auto-siphon. Make sure you get the full size one. Worth it's wait in gold!
I suggest 5 Star Sanitizer, aka STARSAN. Get a small 5 ml syringe to measure, I use the plastic kind that you use to give little kids medicine.

Thanks for all the input i was just checkin out midwest supplies and found the same set up w/ 2 glass carboys for $109.00. It looks like it comes with the upgraded auto-siphon mentioned above as well! One thing I dont understand though is why they make the "Better Bottles" which are made out of plastic sound superior to the glass carboys?? I am very new to all of this so i may be wrong but i thought that glass was better hands down?

Skunkyhops said:
One thing I dont understand though is why they make the "Better Bottles" which are made out of plastic sound superior to the glass carboys?? I am very new to all of this so i may be wrong but i thought that glass was better hands down?

Long explanation available by searching for "Better Bottle Glass".... but in short, glass carboys are great, but if they shatter, they can seriously injure you to the point of needing surgery or physical therapy to repair cut muscles. Better bottles are a certain kind of plastic that is very non-porous and is very hard to stain or break. They will never shatter and seriously injure you, but they are a little heat-sensitive, and scratch somewhat easily. Most people recommend swirling around Oxi-Clean Free and NEVER brushing it unless absolutely necessary. *whew*

Skunkyhops said:
Thanks for all the input i was just checkin out midwest supplies and found the same set up w/ 2 glass carboys for $109.00. It looks like it comes with the upgraded auto-siphon mentioned above as well! One thing I dont understand though is why they make the "Better Bottles" which are made out of plastic sound superior to the glass carboys?? I am very new to all of this so i may be wrong but i thought that glass was better hands down?
Stick with glass, unless the weight is too much for you. As long as you make sure EVERY time you pick it up, that you have a good grip (don't have a slimy sanitizer feeling on your hand or bottle) you'll be fine. Glass is far superior to any plastic, and will last you a lifetime if you're careful with it. Plastic is more porous, will scratch, and weir out. The only advantage is it's less dangerous to you, but sooner or later you'll have an infected/oxidized batch due to plastic (better) bottles.:drunk: But think about it, every time you pick up a glass water glass, you're taking a risk of cutting yourself if you drop it. Some people just have a tendency to be overly cautious/scared.

Jesse17 said:
... sooner or later you'll have an infected/oxidized batch due to plastic (better) bottles.:drunk:

There are a number of people around that would vehemently defend that statement. I personally use Ale Pails. *shrug*

If you do use glass, and can find some, store them in milk crates to prevent shattering.

I have the vinyl coated metal handle on my glass carboy and I never take a hind off that metal handle when cleaning, dumping or moving the carboy. Seems to help when hands are slippery.

I have a plastic better bottle as well which I seem to prefer but I only use the carboys for secondary and buckets for primary.

Linc

Back