Brew Sculpture & Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am considerably a new brewer. I became intrigued in crafting my own brew, when a fellow Service Member crafted his first brew out of a kit that he bought from a local store. As we sampled his creation, I began to think of all the beers I could craft. I went on line and bought a Mr. Beer Kit in order to begin my new found hobby. I tried the kit, but it wasn't to my satisfaction (a little to simple to call my own). I began research all grain, and yet again, I began to imagine the creations that I could make. I had a permanent change of station and moved to Georgia, where I met my new boss. Out of conversation, we discovered that we were both into brewing beer. However he had years of experience more than I did. So with that, I began my adventures in brewing, with the majority being all grain. First up, American Amber, followed by Boont Amber, Dunkelwiesen, and a last minute brew before my deployment of a White house Honey Ale kit.

Well here I am going through beer brewing withdrawal (deployed), and I can't get my mind off of brewing that first batch when I finally arrive back at home. After being introduced into some very good books about brewing, I designed a brutis style two tier adjustable brewstand. The thought behind the design was to be flexible enough to do decoctions, while still be able to collapse down for storage, hold all my pots, and still be able to be moved easily to my next duty station. I have a three pot setup, first being the MLT (left), second is the HLT, and finally the boil pot. Between the MLT and HLT, I have a march pump connected that will continuously recirculate to the HLT. The HLT will be fired up in order to keep the temp at the in the right ranges. Once Mashing is complete, do a final recirculation, and push the wort to the boil pot through the pump via a y in the tubing.

As far as the Keezer, started the idea from "the lousy Smarch coffin keezer build." Personally, loved the design, and have incorporated most of the design into my build. The only deviation that I did on the design, is that the lid will hinge up and forward, and with sliders attain the rest of the clearance that I need to load/unload Cornies in the keezer.

Overall, I'm looking forward to getting home and creating theses projects. Of course, there will be follow up pictures of the actual progress. Look forward to some feed back

Collapse Brew stand.jpg

Screen shot 2013-08-31 at 1.27.17 PM.png

Screen shot 2013-09-05 at 3.27.21 AM.jpg

Started the build. Note to any one reading and is going to start welding. Buy a decent welder. I had to break and reweld so many times, it is ridiculous. Other than that it has been fun.

ForumRunner_20131217_153143.png

ForumRunner_20131217_153157.png

ForumRunner_20131217_153222.jpg

ForumRunner_20131217_153242.png

I like the way you've designed this for storage and usability, well done.

Per your comment, "Buy a decent welder."
What did you buy/use initially...and what did you step up to? I'm looking at some welders on Craigslist, a little nervous that the ones I'm looking at fall into the "less than decent" category.
Good luck with the build!

Sorry it took long to reply. Been organizing the garage and hosting a little get together to let friends taste the nectar that I just brewed. I have a new 110 volt flux core welder from tractor supply. Don't get one like that unless you want to spend a lot of time rewelding and grinding. The issue is the welder does not have enough juice to penetrate the metal. The cheapest that I would go next time is a dual voltage welder that takes gas to create the clean welds needed. In a pinch the 110 will work. Take it slow so that the wire penetrates. Clamp the tensioner down so it grasps the wire and pushes it through the gun. Happy welding.

Dirty Dog........I'm guessin' that you beveled all your weld areas, yes?

And I concur with you on the flux core vs. mig with gas, as far as a clean weld!

Thanks your service, both to our country and this forum! Subbed. Looks brilliant and in the market for putting together some ideas, too.

Back