brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcalisi

Reaction score
So I've read all of the threads on how great the Brutus 10 is and I get it. Nice simple clean rig. At first I was set on a gas HERMS and got the appropriate Keggles for it but now I think I like the brutus 10 cause of simplicity.

So the real question what are the negatives of using a Brutus setup? I'm ready to put my part list together but can't find enough information to make my decision.

btw one of my keggles is coated with that black insulation which I was going to use for my mt in the HERMS.

thanks an advance I thank I've become addicted to this site... I guess its time to get my membership.

Lonnie,

no doubt on your biased but its well worth it from where I'm standing.

1234 - I'll let you know what I come up with.

i just built kind of a Brutus 10 and have a lot of pics in my gallary and i have a post of the build. it may help you with your material list

good luck,

Nick

Let me know what it costs when you get the parts list done, as we are about 25 minutes from one another.

get a quote from your welder, and decide on what type of steel you are going to use...SS or reg steel. I paid 600 for the steel and frame, but the welder was a friend of mine. I think total cost was 1500-1800 I forget

i just built kind of a Brutus 10 and have a lot of pics in my gallary and i have a post of the build. it may help you with your material list

good luck,

Nick

kind of a Brutus 10 my ass. You take the cake my friend! That is ONE SWEET BUILD!

I remember coming across that thread very nice build Nick. I would hope my turns out to be half as good. I think I'm going to weld up the frame myself. I have a Miller 135 that should do nicely, but I'm thinking stainless is a bit to salty for me. I might swing by the local scrap yards to see what they have first. I'll leave the kettle welds to my local pro with a tig.

A Brutus is the only way to go. This forum has some really good support for a Brutus build also. Once you start building you really get into it. Plus, Lonnie Mac (the original builder) pops in sometimes to answer questions like he did above. I personally just finished mine and have only made a test run. The fun part is looking for the parts. I found that my local metal salvage had tons of supplies including my kegs. All on the cheap. So far, my build is over $1000 for sure because of the pumps, stc valves, switches, love controllers, silicone tubing, and QD'd and my heat exchanger. My stand metal is 2x2 1/8th steel ($120.00 including cuts),$100 powdercoat. Its the details that add up. My wife is on my tail now because , "i just need one more thing!". The bottom line, the Brutus design is really simple but at the same time complex. Look at the November 2007 issue of Brew your own magazine to get a good start. I am currently building stainless inserts which will raise my kegs and get them off my powder coat and shield from the heat (that is my hope). I also built a center beam to rest my burners on so that you could adjust burner height easily. Go for it. PS I have tons of pics from my build PM me is your interested and I'll email them to you.
Bartman

IMG_19011.JPG

I remember coming across that thread very nice build Nick. I would hope my turns out to be half as good. I think I'm going to weld up the frame myself. I have a Miller 135 that should do nicely, but I'm thinking stainless is a bit to salty for me. I might swing by the local scrap yards to see what they have first. I'll leave the kettle welds to my local pro with a tig.

i used the same exact welder, i brought my cut list to metalsupermarket and they cut all my tube to length for $175.00 and my rig is alot bigger than a brutus 10. i used 1/16 steel and have no flex at all but i do have 2 supports in the front and back

i also did not mes with my kegs, i've seen to many welding gone bad pics.

As mentioned above there are 2-3 really good threads on the Single Tier / Brutus design. Also there are alot of 'side conversations' on automation, gas valves, burners, etc. Seems like every spring there are a dozen or more new builds and the collaboration between forum members really helps.

Here are a couple that really helped me last year on my build...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brutus-ten-44403/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/asco-red-hat-valves-50945/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/love-temp-controller-series-ts-wiring-diagram-2008-a-88369/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/spark-ignition-brutus-67922/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/gas-burners-love-ts-pilot-light-demo-64899/

Brutus 10 is brilliant. HUGE prost to Lonnie. The design is a great balance of simplicity and complexity. Its also a great platform for modifications and customizing elements and systems. A build exactly like Lonnie's is super sound, has great repeatability, is solid and reliable and still is easy to troubleshoot if something seems not quite right. At the same time, you can swap out a burner for a RIMS heat exchanger, plum a HERMS coil and automate almost everything within an inch of its life if you want to tinker. In terms of down-sides, I can't really think of any. At first it take some experimentation to get the flow rate right when recirculating the mash, but that's just getting to know your system. Can't recommend it too much. And the community of Brutus users on HBT are invaluable. My rig is in my gallery if you want to take a look. I purposefully oversized and overbuilt it.

Gordie.

guys thanks for all of your input. You have already saved me some time... I didn't even think about having the supplier pre-cut my tubbing. I have the back issue of byo ordered. Hopefully soon I'll start sourcing parts and posting pics... and now back to taxes :(

Thanks for purchasing the back-issue my friend... Now I do not make a penny from that, it's just that I am a BYO fan! I just ordered three of the new special Brutus issues tonight myself before they are all gone too! :)

PM sent...

Back