Brew rig advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnadamn

Reaction score
I was wondering if people would mind voicing their opinions on something... I was planning on building a brew rig of 1.5" square steel but have found an amazing price on something smaller (about $0.27 per foot). So here is my question... would you build a brew rig out of 1/2" square x .065" wall steel? I am afraid this will not be strong enough.

Funny, this has been a hot topic lately, and one guy actually mentioned using 1/2" square tube for cost savings. With a proper design, thin walled 1/2" tubing would work. I made my rig out of 0.065" wall 1-1/2" square tube. It's quite strong and only cost about $.70 per foot.

As Yuri pointed out - it'll work, but something to consider - what will you be mounting to it, if anything? You'll want to have enough surface area to drill/tap if that's the way you decide to go. Of course, there are other ways to mount things. Again - it'd work just fine if you design it right.

We're in the midst of finalizing our brewery design and debated several frame material and size options and have opted to go with 2" square steel tubing - for aesthetics and structural.

Good luck with your build!

1/2" is just fine. You do need to actually think about your design though. With 2" stock you don't have to do anything for support, literally. The material is so oversized for the application that the design matters for zero.

With 1/2" sotck you need to be mindful of heat zones, vertical supports and span distance between vertical supports. I think it is a great idea. I plan on building mine out of 1" because it is cheaper as far as I can find so far, plus my design is based on that material.

I want to see some pictures of this!

I think there's a threshold where the tubing is so small that you need a lot more linear footage and more welding to make more of a matrix for strength. I think the typical brutus design with the single middle support can be done with 1" sq, .065" tubing. If you go with 1/2", it would have to look more like a trestle. |X|X|X|

If you go with 1/2", it would have to look more like a trestle. |X|X|X|

This was something I was considering anyways... you can weld the cross members in a way that you could use them for gas supply and/or support of the burners. Not sure it's worth all the extra welding, though.

1" square tubing is still pretty sturdy. Here is my stand design:

Stand_II.png

Those central supports are all looks on these builds. The structural strength of steel tubing is way underestimated in the homebrewing world.

For example, take a look at any folding chair you have ever sat on at any event. Those chairs use super thin walled low grade steel tubing that is about 5/8" diameter. Slap some paper thin plastic across it, and call it a chair fit for a 400 pound person to sit on. Yes, we way overengineer everything we build. That isn't bad, and it looks great, but stands such as ours can be made MUCH lighter.

I think a standard Brutus design would be just fine in 1/2" square tube. Just be sure that the tubing is far enough away from the burners to avoid heating the metal excessively.

Also, I have not run FEA or any other calcs on this. Test your stand appropriately before putting 20+ gallons of boiling liquid on it. That goes for 1/2" steel to 3" stainless.

I agree 2 inch is overkill. But to me it just "looks" right. 1 1/2 maybe. But the weight is also a good thing. I'd think the heavy weight of the frame is good with all that water weight on top. Probably not critical just another factor to consider.

1" square tubing is still pretty sturdy. Here is my stand design:

Slick design! Couple questions:

1) No cross-member in the back? Not needed because of the main one in front?

2) What all goes on that little "shelf" you have there in front? I see spots for 2 pumps. What are the 3 arms sticking out from in front of each burner for?

Thanks!

Brewery1.png

1) There is one cross member centered on the rig on the bottom. I think without this piece the ridigity of the structure would suffer.

2) Hopefully the above sketch makes it clear. The shelves are for pumps, and the arms hold the hard plumbing in place.

I agree 2 inch is overkill. But to me it just "looks" right. 1 1/2 maybe. But the weight is also a good thing. I'd think the heavy weight of the frame is good with all that water weight on top. Probably not critical just another factor to consider.

Well, I'd also mention that I think the brutus design is easily 12" too tall. That goes for the brew magic too. There's no reason for the extra height when you have pumps to pump UP to a fermenter.

Brewery1.png

1) There is one cross member centered on the rig on the bottom. I think without this piece the ridigity of the structure would suffer.

2) Hopefully the above sketch makes it clear. The shelves are for pumps, and the arms hold the hard plumbing in place.

I think there's a lot of added depth just to have the pumps sit forward. Why? Drop them lower and tuck them under the burners to save a good 6" of storage depth.

Ahhh, gotcha. Looks nice. You're not worried about the controls and wiring being right in the middle of everything (pretty close to the burners)?

As for the "too tall" comment. I had been looking to make mine shorter for storage purposes and basically agree. But also wanted to mention that it might be nicer to have things a little taller if you are going to be adjusting any valves or otherwise in the back/side of things.

Thank you for all the replies everyone, My design intent is to build a gas 3 tier that will fold up and form a single tower for storage and transport. Ron Rock has a good point with weight as I will be having a lot of weight high up in my system. I think I will look into using some heavier metal at the base and in some other areas then go through and fill in the remainder with the 1/2.

I have picked up the metal today on my way home from a work trip 250 linear ft of the 1/5 bar for $40. A good deal of the metal will go to my furniture design/build project for school and that is why he gave me such a discount!!!

what will I do when I lose this option?? guess grad school eh?

I think there's a lot of added depth just to have the pumps sit forward. Why? Drop them lower and tuck them under the burners to save a good 6" of storage depth.

Yeah I went through a couple design iterations (a ton actually:D) and landed with this. I love the front control panel ala NickSteck, and think it fits my system design better than a remote panel. So in order for my hardplumbed lines to clear the panel the pumps are positioned as shown.

I have a dedicated brewery so storage is not an issue. It looks like this, or will once I am done with everything. Right now I am stripping everything out, leveling the floor sealing the walls and epoxying the floor. In a couple months I am hoping to have it habitable.

Brewery_I1.png

Brewery_II1.png

Thank you for all the replies everyone, My design intent is to build a gas 3 tier that will fold up and form a single tower for storage and transport. Ron Rock has a good point with weight as I will be having a lot of weight high up in my system. I think I will look into using some heavier metal at the base and in some other areas then go through and fill in the remainder with the 1/2.

I have picked up the metal today on my way home from a work trip 250 linear ft of the 1/5 bar for $40. A good deal of the metal will go to my furniture design/build project for school and that is why he gave me such a discount!!!

what will I do when I lose this option?? guess grad school eh?

WHere are you going to school and for what? I am an ME grad from UWM in '07.

WHere are you going to school and for what? I am an ME grad from UWM in '07.

Thats great! I go to UWM for Architecture and Art History (technically done just need to build some furniture for my furniture design course). I am making an end table where the sides come off and make 4 chairs and the table top moves up and unfolds to make a full dining room table.

Back