Brew pot size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoeKillerCreek

Reaction score
I am planning my 1st brew and have a 20 quart alum & a 32 quart stainless pot. making std extract kit, boiling on turkey fryer setup. with ingredients added, is 20 qt too small?

Yes, use the 32 qt. for a full boil to better utilize the hops. By using the 32 qt. you'll also have minimal worry of boil overs, you'll probably want to start in the neighborhood of 6.25 - 6.5 gallons of water for your boil. Also, look into a late addition with your extract to preserve color.

For a full boil, yup. A partial boil would work, but with the 32 you might as well go full and not need to worry about boil over very much.

I'd be happy to take the 32 off your hands if you're really not interested in using it, though... :ban:

Thanks guys , apprec the insight. I suspect that I wouldn't want to use the 32 for brewing and frying turkeys huh? Seems like to mupch clean up and chance of contamination?

Thanks guys , apprec the insight. I suspect that I wouldn't want to use the 32 for brewing and frying turkeys huh? Seems like to mupch clean up and chance of contamination?

The oil would kill any head retention. The boil would take care of any germs, though. If you want to put the effort into getting the oil out before brewing in it, you can use it for both. Or, if you don't really care about head retention there's no problems.

If the inside of your aluminum pot is shiny, boil as much water in it as you can fit for about 10-20 minutes to oxidize it, then don't scrub it shiny after. Don't let the nay-sayers tell you aluminum is going to do anything terrible to ya!

Back