Brew pot searching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhawkbrew

Reaction score
I'm starting to get the AG bug and was wondering what a good price for a 10 gallon brew pot would be. I have a turkey frier now, but I've read that that is a boil over waiting to happen. I'm not looking for top of the line, just something to get me started. After doing a quick look on line it looks like they're starting around $70 to $80 for a basic aluminum stock pot. Does this sound about right?

if you are going to go with the aluminum stock pot id just stick with the turkey fryer. any pot will boil over. but if i was you id look on craigslist.com for a pot (stainless). or just a better deal then that.

cruise around college towns and find a keg in somebody's yard... i found one floating in the river while fishing, and bought 1 for 20 bux on craigslist

People who worry about boil overs have never tried the magic that is foam control drops (aka Fermcap-S)!

I boil full batches in my 30 qt turkey fryer pot on my wife's prized stove within a couple inches of the top of the pot all the time. The stuff is magic.

Without it, any size pot can boil over. With foam control, you can start the boil and walk away and don't even bother to watch it. The stuff can also be used in the fermenter to improve head retention, and it never makes it into the finished beer (it all settles out into the trub at the bottom of the boil kettle or fermenter). No brewer should be without.

I got a 60 quart (15 gal) AL stockpot, that is 6mm thick, and its heavy. for about $80.

A 4mm pot would do just fine, but if you're going to spend $60 to be able to do 5 gallons, consider $80 to be able to boil for 10 gallon batches. I got mine at waresdirect.com but they redid their website, and I don't think they carry pots anymore. try the instawares.com site that dragon posted. Looks like they have a 60 quart for $65.

This looks like a great deal, but the pot is only .026 inches thick.

Please let us know what the quality is like when you get it. It is certainly one of the best values in a stainless pot that I have seen.

I just ordered one of these and its a total POS. It is thin flimsy, dented, I had to take an angle grinder to it to remove the burrs from the hole to install the ball valve that came with it, and the best part....the bottom is convex...yeah that's right, it's a 10 gallon boiling weeble-wobble

Flyguy speaks the truth, here's 5 gallons with gentle rolling boil in a 5.5 gallon pot.

FermcapS.jpg

Back