Brew pot question??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie3

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new to this site and Home brewing. Looks like a great site with lots of info! I just picked up a TrueBrew homebrewing kit. I also picked up a Nut Brown Ale ingriedient kit. I can't wait to get things going.... anyway My question is: Does it matter what type of brew pot I use for the Boiling part, what I really mean is the type of metal it is made of?? I will be going to purchase this in the next few days or so and I want to make sure I get the right type. I was thinking about the outdoor TurkeyFryers that Home depot and lowes sell. They come with quite large pots but I think they may be aluminum is that a problem? Any suggestions????

Thanks in advance:mug::mug:

Some people claim that aluminum pots contribute a metallic taste to their beer. I use a stainless pot but I've had beers that were brewed in aluminum and I didn't notice anything. I think it might be subject to individual taste. Either way, it's worth it to get the fryer if only for the burner which will allow you to do larger boils. Try the aluminum pot and see if it works for you.

The aluminum that comes with the fryer is good. Preboil water in it for 30 min or so to oxidize the aluminum then only clean it with a sponge don't scrub it. Also I would sugest not using any cleaners on it. Just fill it with water after use and let it soak to loosen the residue at the top after a boil. Long as you clean it after your done brewing it won't need heavy scrubing.

In the future you may decide to upgrade to stainless since its more durable but for now the aluminum will be good.

It absolutely must be made of 100% cobalt.

Or aluminium, or stainless. Do a search you'll find some fun stuff!:fro:

The turkey fryers work wonderfully. Many of the brewers on here use them. The aluminum is fine.

I have 5 gallon stainless pot that was formally used for brewing and now serves to heat water for the mash. Boil now happens in a 10 gal aluminum pot. Both work fine, just don't scratch

Cool, I guess the Turkey Fryer it is. My B-day is in a couple of weeks and I almost always wind up with a Home Depot gift card from the In-laws, and with Thanksgiving coming there should be plenty to be had:D...Hey thanks for the info too!:mug: Do you guys think I should designate this pot just for brewing? Maybe I should get a second pot just incase I want to try frying a turkey this year...or deep frying wings or something?Thanks again:D

The pot don't care, IMHO. Be very, very careful not to burn your house down while frying the turkey (a real and serious problem with turkey fryers - get away from the house, far away from the house with that pot of combustibles and handy ignition source), wash it out well with soap after the oil, rinse well, and boil plain water in it (looking carefully for any oil slick indicating that the wash step was incomplete) before brewing again.

I've been brewing in a 10 gallon aluminum pot for 15 years - no worries there, if it's a good thick pot. No evil tastes in my beer, either.

If you're going to fry anything for Thanksgiving, make it a turducken! Stuff a chicken in a duck, then stuff that into a turkey and fry it. You WON'T regret it... just don't let it boil over!!! A turkey frying boilover is a LOT more dangerous than a brewing boilover.

I heard those TurDuckhens are really good from a friend of mine at work....and as far as keeping the turkey fryer away from the house....Absolutely..great advice......I have seen a few shows on TV about these fryers tipping or boiling over and I want NO part of that, Man that is scary the way they go up! I actually had to say something to my Bro-Inlaw a couple years ago.........he was using one in his Garage on Thanksgiving,he didn't take my advice to move it outside. Luckily nothing happened but not a good idea! Any way thanks guys!

They're delicious. And DEFINATELY an outdoor activity. And DEFINATELY have fire extinguishers just in case. That oil with flame up fast and burn your whole house down if only a little boils over.

...Someone should start a turducken thread in the food/beer pairing section (preferably someone with a good deal of turducken experience)

Okay not to high-jack this thread but should I consider switching from my 5 gallon enamel canning pot? Yep, it's chipped in one small area.

Second post on the site first was some random water chemistry stuff.....

I got the same starter kit and beer kit as Ernie last friday. I am picking up my fryer this friday! Been around the site a while as well, and my buddy has been brewing for a few years, so I have a close resource. I finally have some extra time, or at least lost some of my other hobbies. The wife and I will be brewing this weekend...how 'bout you Ernie? The guy at the LHBS said the first thing people does is skip the yeast in the box for a liquid....so that's what we did. Not so sure now though, but I've lots o' experience growing bacteria, so yeast should be easy.

I also know a bit about turduckens, but only those rare ones harvested from the woods and water! I have to say, you need either a really small chicken or a mighty large duck. Either way they are delicious. Each time I make one, I brainstorm ideas for making a "beer-butt turducken"....but then it never comes to fruition. Perhaps this will be the year!

Let us know how the brewing goes Ernie, and I'll do the same. And if you ever swing through Arkanthaw makes sure you bring a sample.

Later, MT

Cool, I guess the Turkey Fryer it is. My B-day is in a couple of weeks and I almost always wind up with a Home Depot gift card from the In-laws, and with Thanksgiving coming there should be plenty to be had:D...Hey thanks for the info too!:mug: Do you guys think I should designate this pot just for brewing? Maybe I should get a second pot just incase I want to try frying a turkey this year...or deep frying wings or something?Thanks again:D

I use my brewpot as a pressure cooker/canner as well. I've not had any problems with chicken flavors, or any other flavors, getting into my beers. Just make sure the pot is really clean before you start and you'll be fine.

I use my brewpot as a pressure cooker/canner as well.

Cap,

Do you just put the canning rack inside the aluminum pot? I was planning to do this as well, cause I love me some homegrown spicy dills! I was hoping that the pot would be tall enough to hold a diy 'double-decker' canning rack.....any thoughts?

MT

Back