Brew pot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iheartipa

Reaction score
Brewed a Black IPA with a new 6 gallon grey enamel pot. Transferred the wort to find that the bottom of the pot had black 'markings'. Perhaps the pot burned, or maybe it was the ridiculous amount of choc syrup that has stained it. Won't come off with a gentle wash.
This normal? Use it again or toss it?

it probly had something to do with the syrup. I had that same problem with lme when i did extract batches. try boiling some water in it to loosen up the black stuff.

Chocolate syrup in a black IPA? Sounds like an interesting recipe...

It also sounds like you may have scorched some of that syrup - which is why most brewing instructions will suggest that you remove your kettle from your heat source while adding any syrup or extract, and don't return it to the heat until that syrup or extract is fully dissolved - the stuff tends to settle towards the bottom, scorch, and become caked on like what you're seeing.

On metal kettles, a brief treatment of oxyclean or bar keeper's friend will usually knock that down pretty quickly. I'm not entirely sure what the correct method would be to remove it from an enamel pot, but I'm sure it can be done without having to toss the pot.

Back