brew pot question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobita

Reaction score
So, i am just starting out home brewing and I got a nice thick 8 gallon pot, doing extract brews to start with. My first batch was partial boil, next batch will be full boil. I am already thinking about moving up to all grain in the future, but I haven't really researched the equipment needs. It seems like the consensus is that the best pot size for 5 gallon all grain batches is at least 10 gallons.

If I do invest in a 10 gallon pot (or bigger) later, will my current 8 gallon still come in handy for the all grain set up? Or would I have been better off to just buy the one 10 gallon pot to start with? I am just hoping my nice 8 gallon doesn't turn out to be a waste of money...

Search and read the info on "brew in a bag" all grain. I think your 8 gallon pot will work out just fine. You may have to watch carefully for boil over as the hot break happens and again as you add the hops.

I boil my 5.5 gallon batches in my 8 gallon pot all the time and if I watch it carefully I don't have problems, 8 gallons is plently big enough to boil a 5-6 gallon batch.

Thanks guys, definitely good to hear. Spent all day today cleaning out the garage. Tomorrow is brew day #2 !:mug:

If you use fermcap, no need to watch closely and you can boil within approximately an inch of the top. I have a 7.5 gallon pot that I do full boil AG batches and end up with 5.5 gallons in the fermenter.

Back