Brew Pot Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
I bought a used brew pot cheap and plan on using it on my next batch.

It was made for brewing and has a brass spigot attached with a metal screen inside. The spigot obviously had not been used in a while and was locked in an open position. After a fair amount of effort I took each piece off and washed it clean of it's green slime coating and sprayed each with WD-40. It moves perfectly fine now.

My question is am I a fool to use this for brewing? I am less concerned with the inside of the pot as it will be boiled, however should I stay away from using the spigot to transfer to the primary fermenter? All the green crap made me think perhaps I should just pour it. I am concerned with the sanitary nature of this old spigot.

What do you guys think?

!BiHR)PwBmk~$(KGrHqEH-C0EsK81lDBNBLM7omrRtw~~_35.JPG

I can take a close up of the interior and spigot if needed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nah.. Just use some PBW and transfer it through the spigot. or better yet take the spigot off and soak it in PBW and rinse well in HOT water and your good.

Can I ask how much you were able to buy this for?

You could also take the spigot off again and boil it and the metal screen in a small saucepan to help sanitize it.

You'll probably want to get all the WD-40 off the spigot before using it.

if you are really worried about it take the valve apart clean it with some oxyclean then just put it in some boiling water for 10 minutes or so everything will be clean. I open the valve during the boil a couple of times just to run some boiling wort through it nice and sanitary

Can I ask how much you were able to buy this for?

You could also take the spigot off again and boil it and the metal screen in a small saucepan to help sanitize it.

Thank you. I purchased it for $20. It was dirty and grimy, but a little elbow grease took care of all that.

You'll probably want to get all the WD-40 off the spigot before using it.

Indeed.

Thanks for your help guys.

if you are really worried about it take the valve apart clean it with some oxyclean then just put it in some boiling water for 10 minutes or so everything will be clean. I open the valve during the boil a couple of times just to run some boiling wort through it nice and sanitary

Good call, thanks :mug:

Is the WD40 in danger of contacting the wort? Certainly doesn't sound like something I'd mess with...

Is the WD40 in danger of contacting the wort? Certainly doesn't sound like something I'd mess with...

The only reason I used WD-40 was to lubricate the spigot to proper working order. It has since been washed and scrubbed. Before I brew I intend to do so again so there is no WD-40 residue in contact with the wort.

you need to get the brass so it's clean and shiney. If the oxyclean don't work try a cleaner that is specifically designed for polishing brass. Something tells me that the green stuff will be very bad for you. Once you have it clean I think it will make a great brew pot

Ok, the brass is good to go. It has no more green crap and looks pretty solid.

However, I think I have a water problem now, lol? After boiling the pot for 15 minute yesterday (twice) there was a real fine layer of white "dust" particles on the side of the pot. Also, where the pot sat on the burner is now a build up of white residue in the spiral pattern. The powder wiped right off and the residue scraped off.

I am going to try and boil a vingear solution tonight. If that doesn't work I will try a citric acid powder to remove the residue. I am thinking it is a calcium buildup.

Anyone have any experience with this? If so, would you offer other suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Ok, the brass is good to go. It has no more green crap and looks pretty solid.

However, I think I have a water problem now, lol? After boiling the pot for 15 minute yesterday (twice) there was a real fine layer of white "dust" particles on the side of the pot. Also, where the pot sat on the burner is now a build up of white residue in the spiral pattern. The powder wiped right off and the residue scraped off.

I am going to try and boil a vingear solution tonight. If that doesn't work I will try a citric acid powder to remove the residue. I am thinking it is a calcium buildup.

Anyone have any experience with this? If so, would you offer other suggestions?

Thanks guys!

To answer my own question: the vinegar/water mix worked wonders. The pot literally looks brand new! First batch in new pow tomorrow!

It looks like it is a stainless steel pot from the picture, but if it is aluminum you do not want it "shiny and new" on the inside. Instead, you want to boil up some water in it for 30-60 minutes so it seasons and dulls up (builds a passive oxidation layer). This prevents the beer from getting a metallic taste from the aluminum (probably not dangerous at the miniscule level of aluminum, but you do not want the off-flavor). Avoid any cleaning that would remove the passive oxidation layer.

That being said, it is very reasonable to really clean up a used aluminum pot, then do the boil to rebuild the passive oxidation layer.

However, I think I have a water problem now, lol? After boiling the pot for 15 minute yesterday (twice) there was a real fine layer of white "dust" particles on the side of the pot.

First - good deal on your brew pot. $20? You shoulda wore a mask. I'm guessing it's a 10 gallon stainless pot. They usually cost @ $100 new, without a spigot.

Second - the residue from your water is just minerals dropping out of suspension. I'm guessing you have your own well & probably have some pretty hard water if the residue was noticeable. It might not be a bad idea to pre-boil your brewing water if it's really hard & high pH. Not a big deal with extract, but a bigger deal if you start going All Grain.

Good luck with it.

Nice score on the pot, someday if / when it is looking tired, try a scrub w/ barkeepers friend, it will look brand new and shine like a mirror! Nothing at all wrong with an old grimy pot...clean it well and enjoy!

Right on thanks guys.

It is stainless steel and I am quite excited to brew batch No. 1 in it tonight.

I appreciate all the help and support. :mug:

Back