Brew pot, aluminum or stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impulserush

Reaction score
I am looking to go full boil and looking to buy a turkey fryer kit. Should I get one with aluminum or stainless. I heard that aluminum could oxidize the wort.

Thanks

Aluminum won't oxidize the wort. Now, you DO need to boil an AL pot with some water first so it builds up an oxidation layer, then it's fine to use.

I would be willing to bet that there are more aluminum pots being used for brewing than SS based solely on cost (excluding keggles).

What about copper pots? I have one that will hold at least 13 gallons and would be great to fill both 6.5 carboys.

I don't see why a copper pot wouldn't work. That's what brewers used to use before aluminum and steel got cheaper to work. Now, the harder question will be do you name it Chester, or Oswald?

Aluminum and copper will heat up alot faster than stainless steel.

My current pot is stainless and fairly thin and it still is not as fast to heat water as my old aluminum pots.

converted kegs take even longer to heat because they are so thick.

With that said the stainless is easier to clean and looks nice.

Back