Brew or Brew Fest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TheManes

Reaction score
I'm facing a dilemma. Next weekend there is a brew fest about 2 hours from my house featuring all New York craft breweries - around 30 I think. SWMBO has said that I am free to go but that I have to be back before the kids have dinner and go to bed (by 6pm). That means I drive 2+ hours, go to the brew fest but with serious limits on my beer intake, and then have to drive right back 2+ hours again and deal.
On the other hand, SWMBO says that if I do not go, she would be happy to give me half the day to brew - much better for her.
So what do I do, brew or brew fest? I'm thinking brew.

bknifefight

Reaction score
That is too far to drive. Brew instead. If you had someone to drive you and you could drink a growler on the way home, it would be a different story :)

OP
T

TheManes

Reaction score
You are right. Why would I have even considered going to a beer festival where I have to "act responsibly" when I could stay home, brew, and drink all day?
Brew it is.

archiefl98

Reaction score
You could always go to the brewfest and "forget" to come home in a timely manner. (Better to ask for forgiveness than for permission)

But I say you brew. :mug:

johnmcc

Reaction score
Where in NY is the Brewfest?

Edit: Just remembered , TAP - New York Beer Festival. A club I've been planning on joining is going up there.

DaveAllen

Reaction score
I'd never let another human being control my life that way.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
I say brew. Use whatever amount the admission was and get a variety of beers. Have your own brewfest before, during and after brewing.

BBKing

Reaction score
Its not called controlling its comprimising. Its called being responsible (not drinking and then having to drive 2 hours home by yourself) and being a parent.
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd guess DaveAllen is probably single.

Back to the OP....not even a question. BREW!

DaveAllen

Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb here, but I'd guess DaveAllen is probably single.

Back to the OP....not even a question. BREW!
And you'd be wrong. Anyone who tells you when you "have" to be home or that she will "give" you half the day to brew is over-controlling.

Babylon

Reaction score
And you'd be wrong. Anyone who tells you when you "have" to be home or that she will "give" you half the day to brew is over-controlling.
There's a reason the abbreviation SWMBO is used.

OP
T

TheManes

Reaction score
SWMBO allows me to do everything I want to do, I allow SWMBO to everything she wants to do, but we've got each other and we've got two kids so we're not exactly independent operators - thank god! We're a team and a damn good one. I am not controlled by anyone except my mother ;).

david_42

Reaction score
I'd say brew. Only having a couple hours and a long drive back will make it impossible to really enjoy the fest.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing is the obvious answer. If you could go and "enjoy yourself fully", then it might be a tough choice. With the stipulations you have this time, the brewing is the only logical choice.

Then again, I don't see why you couldn't miss putting the kids to bed ONE TIME either. It's the drive that would decide it for me. With or without a DD.