Brew On Permises/Brew Your Own Business Concept

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarks2327

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wanted to get some feedback about brew on premises.

Before everyone gets started about killing the idea, please approach this from the standpoint of the general public, not a homebrewer. I know all of us making beer would never consider going to one of these, but let's be honest, we all have a screw loose. When I show one of my friends a brew day, 90% think that's a lot of work/effort/initial $ for a batch of beer. I'm approaching this as a brewer who would love to work in a beer business, engage customers, and convert people to good beer (and maybe even convert them to brewers!).

I know many failed, but the one's that have been successful are WILDLY successful. For instance, the Brew Kettle near Cleveland has a 6 month wait list at their BOP, and it played a major role in financing their brewery expansion. My idea would utilize a nano-brewery that only sold on premises, and the BOP would only be open Fri-Sun. There's private rooms for groups/parties at extra cost. TV's, beer, and appetizers only. From a logistics standpoint, it'd have to be extract beer.

What do you think some good ideas for a BOP/nano are, why do you think some failed and some are still wildly successful, what area do you think one should be in, etc, etc. THANKS! (Also, if anyone has been to one, pros/cons of experience)

I'm very interested in the idea. I actually have a business plan for one here in UT but laws have to change here. In new jersey there is one. They have to have everyone that comes in to brew apply for a state issued brewing license, it's 30 seconds of paperwork but it's legal.

Utah has a wording in the laws about home brewing that basically states that you can only brew and ferment at the place you live and nowhere else. Make sure you check for where you want to open.

There is one here in NH that does special events, groups, etc. They also do soda on premises, which works out well for kids parties and such. Here's their site: http://www.incredibrew.com/

I think there is that market there for either people who want to start brewing on their own but aren't sure about putting the investment up, or people who just want to brew their own beer from time to time.

Maybe in addition you could have a homebrew store attached as well to catch them coping and going?

Good luck.

There are a few around Portland most are connected to homebrew supply shops. You might be able to call on them for information, I think they would feel fairly safe that you won't be competing with them for customers.

Latest posts

Back