Brew Masters on tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfhound180

Reaction score
So the punkin episode of Brew Masters is on at 2 am eastern tonight/tomorrow morning in discovery if anyone wants to dvr it like me.

i saw that on their fb page. pretty awesome, they said there's still no word on the last episode tho

Did they show that episode when the series was on? I don't remember that show. Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna record that one.

Yeah it was on. They made a beer with new Zealand tomatoes and made punkin ale

Yeah, and completely goofed up when it came time to bottle the Punkin.

Without getting too spoilerish, this show in general seemed to highlight a pretty significant lack of brewing discipline at Dogfishhead that kinda bugged me. The bottling issue here, one of their special edition brews that had to get dumped, the batch of 120 that had to get dumped, and I think there was at least one more dumper.

What bugged me the most was when they went back to try to figure out what went wrong with the 120 batch. They pulled out archive bottles of several previous years' editions of 120 and sampled them. When they decided which of the bunch was the one they most wanted to emulate, they went back to the drawing board to try to figure out how they got that particular brew - from scratch. If they kept around any recipes, they certainly didn't refer to them on camera, simply dove in on their pilot system to try to rediscover the formula.

Cool show, but as a brewery they seemed pretty amateurish to me, much of the time.

Kinda homebrewish, heh? :rockin: I'm sure that's the "maverick" image they want to portray.

I don't know - I don't keep really great brewing notes (something I intend to improve upon in the new year!), but I at least have my old recipes that I can refer back to!

And for crying out loud - I at least check out my bottles before I consider putting beer into them! How much of the Punkin did they get bottled before discovering that particular gaffe? Yikes!

All that said, the show was absoultely worth its weight in gold, if only to see SWMBO and my brew buddy and his SO's reactions to the Chicha episode!

stratslinger said:
What bugged me the most was when they went back to try to figure out what went wrong with the 120 batch. They pulled out archive bottles of several previous years' editions of 120 and sampled them. When they decided which of the bunch was the one they most wanted to emulate, they went back to the drawing board to try to figure out how they got that particular brew - from scratch. If they kept around any recipes, they certainly didn't refer to them on camera, simply dove in on their pilot system to try to rediscover the formula.

Since the recipe is almost set in stone and widely available to anyone who wants to attempt it I guarantee you they were working on procedure. They dumped it because it didn't hit the right alcohol content and had more residual sugar than they wanted. That's a problem with procesure. That's where their secret lies.

i burned the whole season so i can catch it whenever i want.
i can't send them out, but if anyone wants to watch them on a 120" screen and is in the clackamas area. hit me up! :)

"hey pulled out archive bottles of several previous years' editions of 120 and sampled them. When they decided which of the bunch was the one they most wanted to emulate"

Though still somewhat of a noob, this does not make any sense to me. As hoppy beers age, the flavors change pretty dramatically (key to making great barleywines) so how could a four year old bottle of 120 provide any kind of basis for one brewed today?

Back