brew kettle + siphon filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyfishnc

Reaction score
hey all...

just wondering if any of you (who do not have a valve on your kettle) use a filter on the end of the siphon? i siphon my wort out via gravity through the chiller. during my last batch, i plugged my chiller (internally) with an orange peel... not good... so, i'm wondering if you use a stainless screen or some other wort filtration method.

eric

A quick and easy way to filter is to use a hop sack over the end of your racking cane. It will keep the big stuff out of your chiller and is a cheap way to go.

Ed

I stop siphoning a while back. Your cold break will sit nicely on the bottom. I decant right off the top. I also use two strainers (one right over the top of the other) and pour my wort back and forth a couple times. Never had a problem with clarity or flavor. That way you're not compromising your wor chiller. Only thing that goes through my chiller is tap water :)

Back