Brew Kettle Selection Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparticus06

Reaction score
I am looking to get a new brew kettle. The one I have is just too small. I need some info if you could all help.

First, I do 5 gallon extract, but eventually I want to do all-grain. What minimum size of pot should I get?

Second, do you get what you pay for or don't it matter? Reason is, I see the MegaPot and think the price is a little high, but then find a cheap pot on another site and think it might be too cheap. Should I spend more and get the MegaPot or the cheapie. And I am only using the MegaPot as an example since it is easily found on Northern and Midwest.

Also, we have a flat top stove in our kitchen. With my small cheap kettle I have now (about 3 gallon), it barely heats the water to a boil. I do have a turkey fryer I have used on nice days outside. If I do get the better pot, will that make a difference on boiling with our flat top stove?

Thanks

You will start to have issues using the stove at any higher volumes. As for kettle price sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you don't. I personally wish I had gone with brewer's hardware kettles but if I was you looking to keep to 5 gallon batches then a 10 gallon bayou classic pot would do you just fine. The turkey fryer will be your best bet but I understand that it sucks being a "fair weather Brewer". If you intend to do boils for 5 gallon batches without using top up water I would definitely recommend a 10 gallon kettle. As a general rule of thumb your kettle should be about 2x your intended final volume if doing no top up water

I just got the 10-gallon Mega Pot with ball valve and it has changed everything. The kettle is awesome. I had a 5-gallon kettle before that for doing BIAB and it was just barely big enough.

The Mega Pot is an awesome kettle I would highly recommend.

Latest posts

Back