Brew Kettle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSUGrad00

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I purchased a 15 gallon brew kettle from MoreBeer a few weeks back and last night was the first chance I've had to use it.

During cleanup I noticed a small black spot on the kettle wall. I took some bar keepers friend and tried to scrub it off with no luck. It looks like the kettle wall was scorched. When I looked at the outside of the kettle the same spot is there, but the spot on the outside is looks concave like the side wall is melted or dented.

I boil at pretty low rate, about 1 gallon/hour boil off. Can anyone suggest what I may have done to cause this?

Inside the kettle

Outside of the kettle

definitely Rdwhahb!!

Are you using LME? It can stick and scorch a little from time to time. Some kind of SS cleaner will take it off with enough elbow grease.

You've gotta keep in mind that this isn't your SS All Clad skillet, its a brew kettle. If you obsess about keeping it clean, you're going to lose your mind.

Yep, like everyone said, nothing to worry about.

Get some Barkeeper's Friend and a scrubby, and it should come off. If you follow the products instructions, the pot wall should re-passivate itself and you are good to go for the future, too.

Back