Brew Kettle Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhdfj2

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a new brew kettle and I had a quick question. I currently am brewing five gallon batches but plan on doing ten gallons in the future. Would a fifteen gallon kettle be too big to brew five gallon batches on? I would like to buy a 15 gallon kettle now so I don't have to upgrade in a year or so.

No, I have a 15 gal pot and I do 5 gal batches all the time. But it does allow me to do 10 gal all grain batches also. I love my 15 gal pot. I added a few things to it also. I added a weldless valve, and a sight glass with a built in thermometer. :)

Get yourself an old keg and cut the top out. They can be acquired for next to nothing and with 15.5 gallon capacity you can easily scale up to 10 gallon batches if u decide u need more beer.

Make sure you take into account the height of the thermometer (if you plan on having one). If you plan on using a 15gal kettle and the thermo is about 1/2 way up then you'll have to have the kettle half full to get a temperature reading.

We offer kettles that have a 'horizontal' coupler arrangement. This is designed so a thermo can be placed down low and always submerged.

:mug:

I'm looking at buying a new brew kettle and I had a quick question. I currently am brewing five gallon batches but plan on doing ten gallons in the future. Would a fifteen gallon kettle be too big to brew five gallon batches on? I would like to buy a 15 gallon kettle now so I don't have to upgrade in a year or so.

Buying a 15 gallon kettle might be the smartest thing you can buy. I usually do 6 gallon batches, but not having to worry about boil overs is worth the $75 I paid. When I get more fermenter space, I can knock out a 10 gallon batch...if I want to.

Get yourself an old keg and cut the top out. They can be acquired for next to nothing and with 15.5 gallon capacity you can easily scale up to 10 gallon batches if u decide u need more beer.

Find someone to let you brew with them in there keggle before you go that route. I don't like using a converted keg, and would be pissed if I had gone that way.

This is what I bought and love it. For the time and effort to mod a keg, I decided to go this route and can brew 15 gallons of 1.040-50 beer. I also use it for 5 and 10 gallon batches too. Just a thought :)

20.5 Gallon Stainless Kettle

Last edited by a moderator:
Back