Brew Kettle Crud

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I just brewed a Czech Pilsner, when I transferred from the BK to the Fermenting Bucket the wire braided hose got clogged after about 3 gallons. Need less to say I am cooling the wort to 50 degrees hoping to drop most of the crud that got in to the bucket, then I'll be transferring it to a new clean bucket before adding the yeast. What do you to filter your wort correctly the first time?

^^^^ What they said ^^^^
Pour it in. It won't noticeably affect your beer in a negative way.

And if you get it that cold, you'll have to let it warm up before you pitch.

All the Best,
D. White

I've screened it to help aerate at times and sometimes dump it all in. Last week I did both. Put it all in if you aren't set up to screen it out. It takes a fairly fine mesh and isn't critical as long as you have primary room. It settles down tightly anyway. I sometimes save slurry and it doesn't hurt at all IMHO.

^^^^ What they said ^^^^
Pour it in. It won't noticeably affect your beer in a negative way.

And if you get it that cold, you'll have to let it warm up before you pitch.

All the Best,
D. White

It's OK to pitch cold but you don't get any activity that is noticeable from the yeast until it warms up a bit. I pitched Nottingham at 43 and it took longer to get activity but seems to be fermenting just fine now, some 36 hours or more since pitching.

I whirlpool and have a side-pickup tube on my kettle's outlet port. The whirlpool collects the crud in the center of the pot, so the pickup tube drains very clear wort from the edge of the kettle, until the last gallon or so. But as others have noted, you can dump the entire thing into your fermenter without causing any significant noticeable off-flavours.

Back