Brew in a bag question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

smoes

Reaction score
Could I use a standard all grain kit with this method?

david_42

Reaction score
With a big enough, strong enough bag, yes. I wouldn't try an IIPA, but anything up to 1.060 can be done.

OP
S

smoes

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I just got a blonde ale kit in and going o be trying this over the weekend

iijakii

Reaction score
If you have a pulley system and a decent bag you'll be fine. Otherwise it all depends on how much soaked grain your arms can handle.

Daddymem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've done 23# of grain in my biab setup. No pulleys, no ladders, no hooks, just my scrawny arms and a clean bin next to the kettle. I lift the bag out and twist it as tight as I can for as long as I can hold it then it goes into the bin where I squeeze the rest out. In the case of that beer, I didn't squeeze a ton out since it would be the 2nd runnings for a partigyle. The weight aspect of biab is often way overstated.

My bag is the voille material that I double stitched on two sides, no signs of seam issues and I've done a dozen or so brews in the bag.

Token

Reaction score
I use a collander under my bag for support when it's draining. There are no small children at my house, but I would still feel bad about the profanities flying around if my bag broke. :D

Daddymem

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Oh if you order the kit from one of the vendors here, ask for them to run them through the mill twice if they are doing your milling. I haven't ordered from all of them but the many I have ordered from do a nice job when they double run it for me.