Brew in a Bag Partial Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfassino

Reaction score
I've been extract brewing for about a year now and I've been itching to make the leap to partial mash/all grain brewing. I just recently started reading about BIAB (Brew in a Bag) Brewing. (I also noticed the other thread about all grain BIAB but I am more interested in the partial mash aspect of it for now.) The questions I have about it are:

Grain and (dry) extract bill, how much water to use, whether to sparge or not, and do you still top off with water when transferring to fermenter?

If anybody has anybody useful information that might help that would be great!

I really like the pictures and instructions here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

That should really help visualize the process as well as answer any questions you may have. I like photos because it helps to see the process!

Exactly right! I started brewing just over a year ago and made the switch to partial mash this month. I used DeathBrewer's thread above, and I've had two very smooth brew days. In fact, it's been a lot more fulfilling than extract brewing ever was, as I feel like I'm doing more than just, say, assembling a piece of furniture: with PM you're starting to actually MAKE the pieces. :rockin:

I've done 2 PM BIAB. Both have been rougly 50/50 split on grain mash fermentables vs LME. For grist ratio, I've been doing 2.2 qt water/lb grain. It seems high, but that's because my bag is held off the bottom and away from the sides using an inner fryer basket with holes (I can do a mashout without burning the bag/grain). See BIAB method stickied to the top of this forum https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/biab-brewing-pics-233289/. So anyway it takes nearly a gallon of water to reach the bottom of that (I use stainless bolts as a stand).

I dunk sparge the roughly 4.5 lbs of grain in 1.25 gallons of water at 170 for about 10 minutes. The preceding mash is 70 minutes.

As to your last question, I do full volume boils. After the mash and sparge is combined, I add roughly 1.75 gallons of water prior to boil. No top off to fermenter required. All done in 2 pots I already had (7 gall turkey fryer boil kettle) and 3 gallon stainless pot for sparging. 80%+ efficiency and it adds roughly 80 minutes to my brewday.

Back