Brew Hut Raising Weekend - 4/25

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet, Ed! That is my father's birthday weekend. If he has nothing planned, though, I might be able to make the trip and lend a hand, if you need the help.

TL

Man this is one big undertaking... I'm quite jealous... If I was living in Texas right now, I'd definitely be down to help. Two + years of construction on the high end level + working in a 3 million dollar wood shop making 15000 dollar tables might lend a hand... Good luck!

Thanks all. It may turn out to be a bigger party than planned. :D

I have a neighbor coming over on the 24 with a tractor and box blade to help prep the ground. It's going on pier & beam since it's mostly rock & calichee soil.

I ordered most of my materials on Sunday at Home Depot and gave them a pick list to have it ready this morning at 7 am thinking I could load it up on a borrowed trailer and still make it to work. Needless to say, I need to take the morning off and 3 trips later, I have this staged for this week.

You are looking at $2,100 in building materials so far.

BrewHausMaterials1.jpg

BrewHausMaterials2.jpg

I'm so glad Home Depot is 2.7 miles away and Lowe's is 1.9 miles away. I think I'll be making many more trips.

This is where it will be built.

BrewHutLocation.jpg

Wow thats a lot of stuff. looks like ill be at Windy point sat and sun. If you need some extra help, im sure I could swing by sat Evening or sun. afternoon. Not exactly sure of my schedule out there yet, and knowing my scuba instructors I wont know until last min.

Jester369 said:
Uber jealous! :D Only a few days now. Too bad you're so far away - would love to part of that project!

We'll hoist a cold one at the end of the day with you here in spirit!

Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter will be on tap.

BCBPorter.jpg

Post the pics when you have them. Are you doing any drainage with it? That is my puzzle, how I could tie into my septic system.

Never mind, I just read ALL the posts and found my answer.

My wife has made similar demands. Get your Brew **** outta my house!

We agreed that once the existing storage building is paid for, we'll get another.

I'll be going with a kitted building of a more modest size 8x12 or 10x12 max.

But it's gonna be nice to have..

Are you post framing the whole thing, or just making piers to support your stick framing?

wildwest450 said:
Are you post framing the whole thing, or just making piers to support your stick framing?

It's going to be on dek bloks in order to stay within deed restrictions. I am going to anchor the 4 corners.

Here in Salem, OR we have the bargain barn! It is a place where contractors dump their extra materials new or used. Awesome prices out there, though, not always sure what you are going to get. If you have a used construction materials place near you I'd suggest hitting that soon. I've seen laminate flooring to vinal windows with the miniblinds between the glass(great for a brewhaus.... airborn wort tends to stick to miniblinds very well!) and stacks of 2x4's, crown molding, and any door you'd ever want, plywood, stained glass windows and various plumbing crap. I get lost in that place. Almost as awesome as the scrap yard... hehehe

Well, we broke ground this morning. One of my neighbors came over to scrape the ground. This came in real handy. He loves my beer & Apeflwein.

SitePrep1.jpg

SitePrep2.jpg

SitePrep3.jpg

I managed to save the tree I was going to cut down by only trimming limbs out of the way. Now we're set for the Dek-Blok system for the floor joists.

SitePrep4.jpg

Envy is creeping in on me.

It's great to have neighbors that are willing to be neighborly.
I'm also fortunate in that way but my little postage stamp back yard isn't going to accommodate a brew house.

I wish I could be there for this; whether its constructing, brewing, or hanging out. I'm green Ed, very green...:rockin:

EdWort said:
Well, we broke ground this morning. One of my neighbors came over to scrape the ground. This came in real handy. He loves my beer & Apeflwein.
I managed to save the tree I was going to cut down by only trimming limbs out of the way. Now we're set for the Dek-Blok system for the floor joists.

Hoo-ray, now it begins! Looks like the shed is going to nestle quite nicely amongst those trees.

I'm going to enjoy checking in on this thread through out the weekend. :mug:

EdWort said:

Is that tree going to hang over the hut? I'm thinking you may just want to cut it down now and not have to worry later.

Good luck! Should be great!

Uncle Argyle said:
Is that tree going to hang over the hut? I'm thinking you may just want to cut it down now and not have to worry later.

Hey...Ed saved a tree! Don't spoil the moment by talking him out of it! On the contrary, I think we should all chip in and buy a carbon credit in his name.

Ed, even though it's just a cleared spot of ground, I'm already jealous of your brew hut. Can't wait to see the finished project! :mug:

Uncle Argyle, good thought. Trees will harm buildings more than buildings will harm trees. At least think about trimming it.
Also, Ed, what are you going to do about termites?

BlindLemonLars said:
Don't spoil the moment by talking him out of it!

I know, Ed seemed happy to get away with only needing to trim some branches...it's just that from the pictures that tree seems to be leaning quite a bit. Can't tell if it's over the cleared area or not.

Uncle Argyle said:
I know, Ed seemed happy to get away with only needing to trim some branches...it's just that from the pictures that tree seems to be leaning quite a bit. Can't tell if it's over the cleared area or not.

Yep. Live Oaks are a bit different. Ed's are growing straight for now. Some of the more mature trees seem to grow in any direction, then change directions. We have some about 100 miles East of Ed that are really old. They have grown sideways, then down to the ground, and then up again! I cant wait until we make the "last" move. Then I can do some of the things Ed & others have done, like All Grain!

olllllo said:
In the SW, shade is your friend.
The savings in cooling could amount to 1-2 batches a year.

I agree.

Now I'm thinking, how many hop plants would it take to shade Ed's BrewHaus?

I'm exhausted. I've taken loads of pics, but will post a few before I hit the hay and begin again tomorrow. Just to get this up there for folks to see.

BrewhausBuild1.jpg

BrewhausBuild2.jpg

BrewhausBuild3.jpg

BrewhausBuild4.jpg

And more.

BrewhausBuild5.jpg

BrewhausBuild6.jpg

This is where we called it for today, but we could not finish without a pint of fresh Haus Pale Ale.

BrewhausBuild7.jpg

We hurried and covered things up as a Thunderstorm approached and had Grilled Tri-Tip, German Nudelsalat, and a green garden salad for supper, washed down with copious amounts of Haus Pale Ale. More tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

Brewhouse looks great, but you have to do something about those guys loitering around and sweating on everything.

Looking forward to seeing the next stages.

I don't know what the critters are like in your neck of the woods, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the height of your floor is that it's perfect for skunks to make it home. No, I'm not talking about you and your friends, I'm talking about real Pepe le Pew type skunks. Is that something you have to consider?

Anyway, it's looking really good. I'll be watching for more pics. I hope you intend on posting pics all the way up to the first inaugural brew.

Back