Brew House kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin K

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a Brew House kit?

One of my buddies just brewed their Red Ale kit, and said it was super easy to brew. It took him about 1/2 hour start to finish. We drank several of his beers (in the bottle about 3 weeks) last night, and they were very good. Much better than store bought beer.

I've got a specialty grain/extract brew ready to bottle now, and another in the fridge that is ready to start at any time, but I think I may do a couple of these Brew House kits this summer just to get a decent stock pile of beer going.
Another bonus is that you don't have much time invested, and I won't be hesitant to give them away. The kits are worth about $30 CDN.

Does anyone else have any experience with these kits?

They are on sale here for $19 CDN right now. I have never had any success with the two kits I brewed. I must say that they were the only 2 kits I ever made that I had to give away cause I couldn't drink them. The people who eventually got the brews said it tasted fine in their opinion.
I've talked to a number of people after I made these and they had no complaints with the way their brews turned out. I dunno, can't see my brewing style had any effect on the way they came out as every other kit I made was fine. I had made a Barrons kit which is exactly the same type of wort-in-a-bag kit, and had excellent results.

Brewhouse kits are pretty good, for the most part. Their Red Ale is very very good, for sure. Nice dry finish.

The only complaint I have against them is that in some of the styles, I feel I can detect some flavour from their pH controller... the kits are shipped acidic, and you neutralize them before adding yeast. I thought the stout tasted a bit like baking soda, to be honest. But the red is good, their Oktoberfest is good, as is the cream ale. Their Munich dark is not a sharp dark lager at all... it's more like a dunkelbier... rich and smooth.

I'm itching to try the wheat ale. We'll see. I'll find out what the LHBS carries, and give one a shot after my Dark Ale grain/extract brew is in the primary.

Either way, I was super impressed with the Red Ale. I'll do that one myself one day too.

I never thought about the PH controller having an effect on the taste as much as it did. That was before I went AG. Now I just couldn't be bothered with making anything other than my AG brews. On average I'm now spending aprox. $10 to $12 to make a 23 litre brew, that includes grain, hops, and the propane to cook it. Yeast I reuse/culture so it don't cost anything that I notice.
Compare that to the cost of a kit at $19 on sale.

Latest posts

Back