Brew Dogs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the Dogs are back!

I dug the NC episode, but yawning through the Chicago one. not really up on being "green" - my political boat doesn't tack to port. if I wanted "green tasting" beer, I'd grab a handful of my front lawn and put it in a pint glass.

not the back lawn. that's the Howdy's toilet.

I'm not really watching it for the brewing, but I think some of the things they're doing are interesting. not that I'm gonna try any of it

I like the other things they're doing, enlightening craft beer virgins, listing top breweries and pubs in the towns they're in.

and I think they're hilarious. I would dig hanging out with them

I can hardly understand them through the accents. Reminds me of Brad Pitt in Snatch. they do some funny things though Chilling in a river while swimming treading water holding the BK comes to mind. They also did a brew using mirrors and a pulley gravity system which will come in handy when the grid goes down and our fires will give away our locations to the enemy...

I watched the Durham episode only because I live in Durham and go to Fullsteam brewery. While it was nice to see some of the places Around town and some of the people I know on tv, I'm getting tired of the show and all the gimmicks they do. I think I'm done with the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I watched the Durham episode only because I live in Durham and go to Fullsteam brewery. While it was nice to see some of the places Around town and some of the people I know on tv, I'm getting tired of the show and all the gimmicks they do. I think I'm done with the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I agree haven't watched the second season at all they lost me with the Boston episode and souring the beer with body funk.

I've looked all over the obvious places for some of the recipes in the show, but I'm interested in finding one in particular. In the Philadelphia episode, original air date 10/8/13. The "Most American Beer Ever Made".

What I gleaned from the show:
Vienna
Pilsner pale malt
Pale Chocolate Malt
Stone ground corn meal
Black Strap Molasses (looked like 32oz)

60 min mash

Full flower hops
1 hour boil
Cooled to 65 Deg F.
328 million copies of the Declaration of Independance encoded into DNA.
Yeah, I think I'll skip that one.

Any other inputs?

it's BACK!

and they're back home in Aberdeen, Scotland, brewing a dead style on their long-unused pilot system in a haunted mansion

I find them highly entertaining and watch every episode. I don't agree with all they do, but overall I think they're a blast. I even like listening to their accents and all.
Dave (engineer) should definitely get more air time.

I have watched all but the latest episodes. While i will agree with both side of the arguements here this is my opinion. I never saw brewmasters so i have nothing to relate to. I have seen Dark Horse Nation, and am not impressed. Brew Dogs i actually enjoy. It opens peoples minds to CRAFT brew. It opens peoples minds to the BREWING process. It opens peoples minds that ALMOST anything can be used. Do they taste good.. ? IDK i have never tasted them SOOOO i feel i cant judge the kelp, hot pepper IPA... MAYBE if it was made on a larger scale for larger audience this could be a new thing.

In the Era of BMC acknowledging that Craft Brew is HERE TO STAY.. this show may turn the tides.

I dont find their show GIMMICKY, and i understand that a majority of things us homebrewers do are nixed out, for editorial reasons... but this show does open up more of the population to local craft breweries as well as local "watering holes" that sell locally brewed craft beers. and i will support that.

I can't express how much I love this show. Especially when I first started home brewing a couple years ago after I got my first apartment, the early episodes bring back a lot of memories because I would watch an episode, brew, relax and watch more. They are very inspiring to me. I love the new episodes too. Brewmasters was good and I love DFH, but i wasn't a huge fan of the show even though I would watch it.

My favorite part of the show is when they explore common beer myths and misconceptions. Like when they blindfolded a couple hot girls and had them pick which was the "dark" beer. Or when they had people taste the same beer aged vs fresh. It's stuff like that I really enjoy about the show. That they might just open the minds of people who aren't homebrewers or craft beer drinkers.

I watch this show as much as I can and really enjoy each episode. Yes, some of things they do are gimmicky, but it's a TV show after all and it's certainly entertaining. Like the Top Gear of craft beer, not everything they do is by the book, or even makes sense, but in the end its a great show, imo. The first one of this season where they went back to were they started in Aberdeen was really cool to see. They brewed the batch on their original Sabco brew system that they started the BrewDog brewery with, which was cool. Also, I love the fact that they list great craft beer bars, and brewerys for each location. The wife and I have actually watched specific location episodes prior to trips in order to get an idea of where we should go, and they for the most part were spot on. Overall, a fun, entertaining, and often informative show about beer... whats not to like! Cheers!

Last night I watched last weeks show. I record and skip thru the commercials this way. Any who....last week they were in Vancouver B.C. That was one crazy ride the put that wort through. Up the mountain and down the zip line. LOL Can't wait for the next show. Wonder if all the funny comments really come from these guys or if there is a comic writer following them all the time.

Martin talks with the guy who supplies the maple syrup about a hot sauce they make (not the one used to make the beer in the show) which is aged in a barrel previously used to make Founder's Canadian Breakfast Stout. which is a beer aged in a barrel previously used to make maple syrup. which is aged in a barrel used to make bourbon.

everyone involved needs their own totem. Inception maple syrup bourbon beer hot sauce

I'm finally happy they made it to Michigan I've been stupified how they have gone to certain cities in their show and somehow not made it to beer city USA and now I can finally relax. Bout time and they made a signature eisbock which was a great selection. Now I need to find out how I can get some of that bba maple syrup to try my own cbs clone beer. Martins face after tasting made me really think wow this guy, forget the syrup guys name, is onto something. I mean bourbon in a maple syrup oh I'd be eating panckakes shoot Id put it on everything.

wow i just read this whole thread.
i can't believe how so many homebrewers have become just as bad as wine snobs. it's beer. relax about it!
also it's tv. and it's a couple of guys that have pushed the boundaries since they started. the point isn't to brew a common style. the point was to brew whacky stuff in whacky ways.
i think it's an entertaining show, and i bet deep down inside all the critics on here are, like me, super jealous that they get to do this.
now i just wish they'd come to norway.
also has anybody found any of these recipes yet? is there any way we can start some kind of large petition to get their recipes published?

My wife and I have been watching Brewdogs and after every episode I would turn to her and say, "I would like to brew some beer.".
About a month ago I made the jump and purchased the equipment and a few kits. My second batch is fermenting and bottled my first brew yesterday, and kicking around the plan of making a stout this weekend.

My wife is happy that I found a hobby, not so happy that I've spent over $500 and haven't had a beer yet.

I'm not so much into the extreme brewing ingredients, but I guess I would have to say that Brewdogs opened up brewing to me as a possibility.

My wife and I have been watching Brewdogs and after every episode I would turn to her and say, "I would like to brew some beer.".
About a month ago I made the jump and purchased the equipment and a few kits. My second batch is fermenting and bottled my first brew yesterday, and kicking around the plan of making a stout this weekend.

My wife is happy that I found a hobby, not so happy that I've spent over $500 and haven't had a beer yet.

I'm not so much into the extreme brewing ingredients, but I guess I would have to say that Brewdogs opened up brewing to me as a possibility.

This is the best possible outcome for the show. It's not how I got here, but I'm glad it's getting people interested. I got here via a random accident, I clicked on a kegerator.com ad on facebook and found their homebrew supply page...downhill from there.

I've enjoyed the show a lot, since it started. Took a couple of episodes to get used to their accents, but now kind of "know" their personalities and sense of humor, and enjoy watching it while having a homebrew or three.
They definitely are into "extreme" brewing, but that really does show how wide and varied the definition of beer can be. The brewing discussion/explanation is geared more towards non-brewers, but not too oversimplified for home brewers.
I like their interaction with other brewing pros, and with the general public.

It does have a lot going on: travel show (top 5 lists), drinking show, food pairings, brewing, comedy, man on the street, etc.

Compared to Brewmasters, which I liked, but found that show to be too DFH centric, like one long DFH commercial. Brew Dogs interviews/highlights/represents a lot of craft breweries.

Back