Brew Day Propane Burner Problem - Dangerous? Fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eko

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a brew day. It's always something different. I got my sparged wort up on the burner and got everything started, then I stepped inside to clean something. I stepped out 5 minutes later to check on it and the flames were not coming out of the banjo any more. The flame was inside the tube part of the burner. Does that make sense? The arm that feeds the propane and air to the burner holes. This is using a Blichmann burner. What would cause that to happen? How dangerous is this? How do I adjust?

I turned off the gas right away, turning off the burner's valve first, then the propane tank's valve.

That can happen if there's so little gas flow that the fuel-air mix inside the burner leans out enough to ignite. Typically the result of the tank going empty or freezing up...

Cheers!

Take it apart and make sure everything is clean. Dirt, leaves, small critters, etc can get into the system and cause blockages. Check the orifice on the supply hose, the intake manifold and the burner itself.

I took everything apart but didn't find anything. I set it all back up and relit it. I got very little output which quickly turned to nothing. So that tank was practically empty. Maybe that was the cause?

I also heard a king of a pop as I was heading back outside, probably the fire sucking into the arm?

I've got my backup tank hooked up now and all's going well. But next time I'll check for critters & cobwebs before I start just to be safe. Thanks for the tips. I'm not a big fan of propane problems, so am happy to do whatever I can to prevent/avoid them.

Yup, that was the tank going empty as I mentioned.

The pop is the same thing happening: leaned out mix. I get a pop every time I shut down one of my Blichmanns...

Cheers!

I put a tick mark on my propane tank each time I brew. I know I get four brews from a tank. That way I don't start a brew without enough gas.

Just close the air input before storing and you should be good to go. I usually put the lid of a bucket over my burner when I store it, just to make sure nothing gets in or damaged.

It sounds like you have your problem solved. The pop you heard was the burner leaning out, which is caused by either low fuel, or too much air. For future search purposes, I will include my trouble-shooting process.

When I have burner issues (with any brand) I usually do the following:

1. Check to see if the tank has propane. After all these years, I can tell more or less by picking it up, but you can also buy a cheap gauge or checking the cold line. Just remember the gauge is really more of a yes/no as opposed to how much you have left.

2. Disconnect and rock/flip the tank with the valve closed. Sometimes the safety seal inside gets stuck and sometimes thank can help. Then connect the gas again and see if it starts flowing. If not then I give it another flip and see what happens, all at low pressure. I was surprised at how many faulty valve assemblies I used to get when trading out tanks (either they wouldn't close or the safety was broken). I bought two new tanks and now just a get them refilled.

3. One I confirm gas through the burner, I adjust the regulator to about 1/3 output and close the air inlet. At that point you should be able to light it and get a good flame. Then, you can adjust the air/regulator balance and get going. Once you get it in the butter zone, you can take a black marker and mark the positions.

Hope this helps someone.

Back