Brew day planning - stove or propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Planning a brew day with a buddy and have a question.

We'll both be doing partial boils. Around 3 gal boils.

How much is it to get a propane tank filled/swapped? I have a tank in the garage that i just acquired, but have not used it and it's empy.

Original plan was just to brew with both kettles on the gas stove top. I figure it would take about 45min to get each up to a boil, and then 60min on each for boil time.

Think this is just a waste of gas and i should not be lazy and go get the propane tank filled and then just boil one pot on the stove? Not really sure which way would be more cost effective.

Last thing i want is the SWMBO yelling at me about $100 gas bill..lol

Thanks guys

Soulive said:
If your stove can't boil 3 gallons, get a new stove...:D

i've boiled 4 on it before.

question is just more or less is which way would be cheaper? 2 burners going for roughly 2 hours, or 1 burner going for 2hrs and a getting a propane tank replaced and using that.

riored4v said:
i've boiled 4 on it before.

question is just more or less is which way would be cheaper? 2 burners going for roughly 2 hours, or 1 burner going for 2hrs and a getting a propane tank replaced and using that.

I think getting propane tanks swapped around here is about $25 bucks. I have no idea which way would be cheaper but, I'd think the house stove would be. Just a guess though...

sounds like a reasonable guess. thats actually the way i was thinking as well :tank:

I have a bachelor pad and did a 6 gallon full boil on my natural gas stovetop....no problems....just watch for boil over!.....actually what I do now is surround the burner with a LARGE sheet of tin foil so if I do boil over I can just pick it up and throw it out.

I can get my 3 gal boiling in about 25 min on an electric stove. Your gas stove would be quicker I'm sure. I say shoot the locks off and get a outside cooker and fill that propane tank. I can get my tank filled for about $12.00-$15.00. They bring 3 gallons to a boil in no time and once your boiling you can turn it way down and cruise. I lose count of how many batches I can do from a 20lb BBQ tank.

You can get propane at Walmart for like $17 if you have an empty to trade in. I have done 3 brews and all my grilling since Dec on the same tank and it is still pretty full.

It is much cheaper to fill it than to swap it. I get mine filled at Ace Hardware for less than $10.00. I have never run it completeley empty though.

I just did my first brew on a propane burner outside yesterday, after only working on electric ranges before.

The propane burner really laid down the heat, the birds were singing, and the various spills and slops were cleaned up with a water hose. I can't see myself brewing inside in the future.

Zero scorching on the bottom of the pot, too. I was a little concerned about that.

Back