Brew day near disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jubilee

Reaction score
Hopefully this is an entertaing story for some of y'all. :mug:

Saturday I made a last minute decision to brew a orange zest pale ale. LHBS only had Cascade in pellets, so I bought them even though I typically use whole leaf. My kettle tube screen gets all gunked up with pellets. I thought, "No big deal, I'll just leave the screen out of the kettle and run the chilled wort through my funnel screen."

As the last 5 min of the boil came, I realized I was tossing 2 oz of dried orange zest and 1 oz of whole coriander seeds in. "****", I thought, "The zest and seeds are going to clog my ball valve." Which they did, but not before the silicone drain hose slipped out of the carboy when I had my back turned. Lost about 1.5 gallons of chilled wort to the garage floor. Then the ball valve clogged up. I ended up dumping everything into the carboy: seeds, zest, pellet gunk.

So I have about 3.5 gallons of chunky pea-soup churning away in the carboy right now. Starting gravity was pretty much spot-on. If this brew turns out good I will have discovered the homebrew world's laziest and easiest orange pale ale recipe. :eek:

Back