Brew Day is Soon!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthrobe

Reaction score
Finally got my new wort chiller built. I had asked a question earlier concerning a pre-chiller or not. Well I had some copper pipe left over and decided to make a one. My tap water is Phoenix is hot at around 70 degrees F. I filled my sink with ice and "cold" water and ran a test to see how much the pre-chiller was going to help. With the pre-chiller my temp dropped to 60 degrees. I am pretty surprised. I am now getting ready to run another experiment to see how long it will take a boiling pot of water (wort) to get close to piching temp. I do not want any surprises on brewing day. So for now I am going to attempt my first vanilla bean porter. Below is the recipe.

.63lb. Chocolate Malt
.75 Lb UK Dark Crystal Malt
.50lb Flaked Barely
6.6 lb. Pale Malt Extract
.33oz Galena 60 min
1 oz Cascade 30min
1 oz Tettnang 10min
1 vannila bean - secondary
Wyeast 1098 British Ale

OG - ?
FG 1.014 - 1.010

This will also be my first attempt at using a yeast starter. I got a back of the lightest malt extract that I could. I do have a couple of questions on the starter. What is the best container to do the starter in? What are the ratios between the malt extract and water to use in the starter? This will also be the first time that I have used Wyeast in the smack pack. Isn't the smack pack like a starter anyway? Wish me luck. Sorry for the rambling. :D

Smack pacs are small starters.

Any pint/quart small necked glass container can be used for a starter, it just needs to be sanitized. Some people actually use canning jars and cover the top with cheese cloth. I've used a growler & a bubbler. I use 1/2 cup of DME in a pint of water. Using extract is best, because that way the growing yeast are eating the same sugars they will in the ferment.

I use a half gallon jug for starters. Many use half gallon growlers, 2 liter flasks, whatever. If you don't have something that size, then go with what you've got.

I boil a quart of water and add about a cup of DME (~ 6 oz.). Anywhere close to that will get you in the right range.

Thanks for the info guys, I do have quite a collection of growlers from my pre-brewing days. I will use one of those with an air lock.

Success!! The new wort chiller works great. Went from 215-220F to 80F in 10 minutes. I wonder if varying the flow through the chiller will increase or degrees this time. Looks like I have more work to do. :p

Flow rate does make some difference, but not much. More is better, but coolant water temperature is more important.

You might want to consider a small amount (2-3 oz.) of lactose. It helps bring out the chocolate and vanilla flavors. Oddly enough, the vanilla will also strengthen the chocolate.

Back