Brew Day at Commercial Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyTanium

Reaction score
What would you brew?

AHA's Big Brew Day is this Saturday and one of the local homebrew clubs does an event with a local brewery.

The brewery mashes & lauters, then hoses the wort into our kettles. We do the boil, hops, yeast, etc.

So here's what I'll get:
5 gallons @ 1.052 preboil
85% US 2-row
11.5% Cara-Hell
3.5% Vienna

I have freshly cropped WY1968 ready to go and a freezer full of hops (Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Chinook, Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, Saaz, Legacy, Bravo, Willamette, Topaz)

What would you do?

Maybe something simple like 2 oz Willamette @ 60 and 1 oz Saaz @ 10 would make a nice ESB with that malt combo

Hey Ty, I was wondering the exact same thing. Unfortunately, I won't be there to brew due to a lack of time, but I will be there to hang out and probably drink a few beers. I know the grain bill is supposed to be similar to the grain bill for their Prairie Path Golden Ale which made me think of either a simple blonde ale or maybe a basic 'C hop' APA. I don't really know what the Cara-Hell brings to the table as I have never used it, but the ESB option sounds good as well.

Two Brothers.... yuck. Sorry. I bet you guys make a beer 10x better than their best. Cool idea though, I would love it if pipeworks or revolution did something like this!

This will be my first year in attendance, but I do remember last year getting samples at later meetings of some of the variations that the club members came up with. Two Brothers has been good to our club for a long time (I guess Jim and Jason were both members at one time), and this is a great event that they host for us.

It should be interesting to see what this year brings. It will also be the first year that we should all have roughly the same starting gravity. I guess in past years they started filling brew kettles as soon as they started sparging, so the first runnings were up around 1.100 PREBOIL. If you wanted high gravity you got in line early, if you wanted lower gravity wort, you either filled up later, or diluted with water.

I'm thinking Chinook early & middle, Centennial middle and late, and Amarillo late and DH.

I am thinking about a blonde ale and a saison.
I would use german traditon hops and pitch 1 5gal with the california ale yeast that 2 Bros. is offering and pitching the other with Wyeast 3726.

I am thinking about a blonde ale and a saison.
I would use german traditon hops and pitch 1 5gal with the california ale yeast that 2 Bros. is offering and pitching the other with Wyeast 3726.

Nice! Wait...they're offering yeast?

Yes, the last email from Bob Salzman said they would have California Ale yeast available.

From the email:
The head brewer also sent me this generous note:
"If anyone would like to ferment with California ale yeast I would be
happy to give out some of ours provided they bring a container we can
put it into. Preferably something that can be sanitized and has a wide
mouth."

Yes, the last email from Bob Salzman said they would have California Ale yeast available.

From the email:
The head brewer also sent me this generous note:
"If anyone would like to ferment with California ale yeast I would be
happy to give out some of ours provided they bring a container we can
put it into. Preferably something that can be sanitized and has a wide
mouth."

Sweet! Thanks! Was the email to UKG members only? I haven't received any from Bob (other than confirming my RSVP). Anything else I should know?

The email went to the UKG email listserv. I missed the part about the yeast as well the first time I read it. It was sort of buried in the middle of the email that gave us the malt percentages.

If you want to see their mashing process, I guess the doors will open around 7:30, with wort available around 9. I hope to get there early, if for no other reason than to shoot the **** with the brewers and anybody else that shows up. But I just found out that my plans may get changed and I won't be able to make it at all. Only time will tell.

Don't forget your safety glasses and closed-toe shoes to keep the insurance people happy, and some homebrew to keep everybody else (especially Bob) happy.

Awesome event. Really enjoyed meeting a bunch of other local homebrewers, and the folks from Two Brothers were great too.

I ended doing a blend of Citra, Centennial and Legacy and will dry hop with Cascade, Chinook, Simcoe and Amarillo.

Back