Brew day -1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat3rol

Reaction score
First try of a yeast starter. I got a Guinness clone from AHS several months ago and wasn't able to brew it. I figured I'd do a starter to see if yeast was good or not.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390504685.283477.jpg

Only one minor boil over

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390504723.458642.jpg

Thank you 18 degree weather plenty of COLD tap water

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390504789.987516.jpg

And there we go. I know I know I could use a stir plate. I'll see how this goes. And I could just use tin foil over the flask but we were out need to go to BJ's.

If the yeast was bad or I did something wrong I'll have to stop at the LHBS tomorrow before I sart my brew.

More to come.

Is that a sponge being used as a bung?

I assume you'll be fine. It was liquid yeast yeah? What's the date on it?

It's a foam stopper that came with the flask and yeast starter kit.

White labs WPL 004 yeast best before 11-14-13. It was stored in the fridge I just didn't have a chance to brew until now.

Are you using yeastcalc or mrmalty to determine the size of starter you need? Yeast viability will be pretty low so I would think a few steps would be needed to get the proper pitching rates..

I just wanted to see if the yeast was any good. If I get nothing I'll buy more.

How long can you store yeast in the frige? I have a couple tubes at home that have been around for about a year :(

[had some brewing location difficulties, but its all good now]

FYI, I've heard a few horror stories about people boiling directly in their Erlenmeyer flask, then going straight into an ice water bath to chill it. Repeated cycles of this can stress the glass, eventually resulting in cracks or a total break.

If the yeast has been in the fridge for a year i would first make a very small starter, like 50-100 ML, let it ferment out for a week, then step it up, say to 500 ML for a week, then use it normally.

>.FYI, I've heard a few horror stories about people boiling directly in their Erlenmeyer flask, then going straight into an ice water bath to chill it. Repeated cycles of this can stress the glass, eventually resulting in cracks or a total break.

Thats what the flask was designed for and how I use it. Except that when I take it off the flame, I let it sit a minute on a oven mitt to cool, then place in tap water, not ice water.

How long can you store yeast in the frige? I have a couple tubes at home that have been around for about a year :(

[had some brewing location difficulties, but its all good now]

I've used yeast that's about a year old. Had to make a starter and then step it up again to a larger starter. Worked fine. There's a tutorial on how to use Mr malty to calculate the size of two-stage starters at seanterrill.com. I found it helpful.

Starter looked ok three nice layers so I started my brew day.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390581649.882490.jpg
Coming up to strike temps

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390581678.381401.jpg
Cleaned and sanitized

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390581714.049819.jpg
Ready to go

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390581736.348180.jpg
Mashing in

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390595263.057330.jpg

200 to 75 in 12 minutes

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390595338.460800.jpg

70 degrees let's hope for some fermentation

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390595434.756032.jpg

Time to clean up.

Cute oven mit. Its nice to have some female brewers around.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Home Brew mobile app

😄😃😀 it's my wife's oven mitt. Maybe I should have worn my nascar mitt instead 😄😃😀

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Its hard to be silly without being offensive on the internet sometimes

Sent from my VS920 4G using Home Brew mobile app

Not offended and didn't mean to offend. That's why I included the smilies.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back