Brew controller build for raspberry pi automation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Paradiso

Reaction score
I am building a raspberry pi Brew controller and I am a little confused my wiring is not correct. I want to add a 3 position selector switch for my pumps. (Pump1on/auto pi mode/pump2on) right now I have a 5vdc relay board from the pi that the pumps will connect to. Does the wiring I have look right for what I am trying to accomplish?
20180707_000933.jpg

f2DNNT

the relay for pump 1 is not being used, you are bypassing it with the red angled connecting line...

explain what the 4 pins of your switch are... Unless I am mistaken, you should show TWO of the "3-position"switch boxes, each with 4 terminals. The bottom two terminals tied together and going to a single pump, one of the top contacts going straight to the 120 feed, the other going to the relay NO, and the relay common going to the 120 feed.

Changed it up. How does my wiring look now for the pump a side and rims heater side of the system?

Attachments

• 20180707_211610.jpg
    20180707_211610.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 108
  • 20180707_211601.jpg
    20180707_211601.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 124
The pump wiring looks correct now, you can use the same 120v line on the drawing instead of three for more clarity. I also suggest a 10a circuit breaker.

On the other drawing, if you are using an LED, it will be on if the element is burned out or unplugged... SSR's leak enough current to light an LED, the resistance of the element stops it, to avoid confusion, I suggest an incandescent or neon. And a 15A circuit breaker.

The pump wiring looks correct now, you can use the same 120v line on the drawing instead of three for more clarity. I also suggest a 10a circuit breaker.

On the other drawing, if you are using an LED, it will be on if the element is burned out or unplugged... SSR's leak enough current to light an LED, the resistance of the element stops it, to avoid confusion, I suggest an incandescent or neon. And a 15A circuit breaker.
Thanks for the suggestions . I will switch the LED out on the element side with an incandescent light to avoid confusion with the current leakage. Just to clarify you recommend two separate breakers one for the pump and one for the rims heater in the above amperage?

10a for two pumps should be good, will probably work with up to 4 pumps, you do need a CB on each, you just want something smaller than the feed supply so it does not trip the whole system for just a pump, resetting your controller, but you do want protection, and also this gives a good pointer in the direction of you problem, should you have one...

For the element, you want one quite a bit smaller than your SSR to protect it, so a 40A SSR and a 15A circuit breaker for a 1200w element, which would draw 10A is a good start.

Back