Brew Commissary Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marea

Reaction score
Hi! I was reading through a thread from waaaay back, in 201, about shared spaces for home brewers to come brew in. I am starting my own kombucha business and have learned through my attorney that I need to brew in a space that is federally approved for brewing beer. I am not aware of any shared spaces currently set-up with the appropriate permits in my city, Portland Oregon. Is there anyone from Portland out there that is aware of one? Is this something people would be interested in doing? My thought was to lease a space large enough for 4-5 serious homebrewers (doesn't have to be booch) to share the space with.

Thoughts, comments, etc., welcome!! :)

Don't really know much about shared brewing facilities other than there was one in Rhode Island years ago. It lasted a couple of years as far as I know.

This likely isn't exactly what the OP is looking for, but there's at least one BOP (Brew On Premises) location in Portland: https://portlandubrew.com/
I bet a conversation with the folks that run that place could turn up any shared commercial-scale brewing facilities in the city...

Cheers!

This likely isn't exactly what the OP is looking for, but there's at least one BOP (Brew On Premises) location in Portland: https://portlandubrew.com/
I bet a conversation with the folks that run that place could turn up any shared commercial-scale brewing facilities in the city...

Cheers!
Yes, you are correct. I was planning to go chat with them this weekend. I know they sell lots of equipment for homebrewers, but wasn't sure what their sitch was for actually brewing THERE.

Search incubator brewing on google. Its been a "thing" for at least 5 years or more.
Don't know if there are any in your area
If you are going to go to all the expense to obtain a TTB permit for making alcohol, you might as well brew some beer. You can always make komubucha as well, but the beer will probably pay the bills. Maybe your "niche" could be low ABV session beers along with kombucha and offer healthy food choices.
Your biggest cost will be renting a business location while you are waiting for your permits. Not enough start up capital is what dooms most new businesses.
Lots of homebrewers have started breweries in rented garages with a roll up door as the entrance. Some have move on to bigger and better things, some have gone out of business.
I'm not interested in buying a .5% ABV beverage, but other people are and some are saying that there could be double digit growth in kombucha sales over the next 5 years. ABInbev and Molson/Coors is now in the kombucha business, so you might be on to something, but you already have a lot of competition for a small segment of the drinking public.

Last edited:
Thank you SO much! I see that one of our local home brew equipment places is opening up an incubator space!!!!!
Search incubator brewing on google. Its been a "thing" for at least 5 years or more.
Don't know if there are any in your area
If you are going to go to all the expense to obtain a TTB permit for making alcohol, you might as well brew some beer. You can always make komubucha as well, but the beer will probably pay the bills.
Your biggest cost will be renting a business location while you are waiting for your permits.

Latest posts

Back