Brew Club Single Malt Challenge Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vebra

Reaction score
So I'm brand new to all grain, one batch under my belt. Turned out pretty good. So my home brew club is having a single malt challenge in december. I was just gonna do the Creme of Three crops, but I wanted to modify the recipe just a tad. I know there are some skilled people on here who can look at recipe and tell if it's gonna be good or not, or what I should change, brewing it on Saturday. Here it is. Everything follows the cream of three crops directions.

12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 66.7 %
4.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 22.2 %
1.00 lb Rice, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
1.00 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
1.00 oz Williamette [4.60%] (60 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
1.00 oz Crystal [4.00%] (60 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [1.50%] (5 min) Hops 0.3 IBU

One malted grain from what I've been told. Flaked wheat apparently doesn't count. Only reason I put it in, is cause I was at a local homebrew shop and there was a big sale and picked up random things that would fit in my arms. 1lb of flaked wheat was one of those items.

One of the most complex beers I've tasted was simply made from Marris Otter and EKG hops. It was a 1.100 OG barley wine. Fantastic beer.
I also make a pretty good single malt brew with just Munich and add hops for an IPA. I shoot for about 1.065OG and about 60IBUs. That's always a big hit.
Then also, is the Farmhouse beer. It's just FrancoBelges Special Aromatic (different from regular SA) and Saaz/styrian Golding hops. And then use the Dupont, or Fantome yeast. About 1.060OG, and 25-30IBUs.

Whatever you go with, good luck

Whatever the loophole is you're imagining, I'd say it would be unethical to enter a cream of three crops bill into a single malt contest. I think the intent is literally a single type of fermentable.

I think the intent is literally a single type of fermentable.
Yup!
I think a Great Marris Otter SmAsH with EKG (**EDIT** LIKE NATAS Said) hops and maybe a double decoction mash to really try and get some depth to the flavor would bode a lot better in my mind.

I would use ale yeast,(US-05), but treat it like a Faux lager! SLOW AND LOW! Cold crash and Gelatin the hell our of it, so as to get as clear as you can! I think you'll be hero!

+1 I think -- while I dig the recipe -- you should probably clarify what their intent is when they say "Single malt" - do they mean single malted grain, or single fermentable source?

Having just organized a somewhat-similar comp for our club, we did a standard kit that each entrant bought from our LHBS - contained 8# of 2-row, and 0.5# of four specialty grains - Special roast, Chocolate malt, Wheat Malt and Crystal 40L. Also came with Glacier, Arg. Cascade, and Spalt Select hops. The rules were add up to 1# grain, remove up to 1# grain, or both, and add up to 1oz hops, remove up to 1oz hops, or both, and add any spices or adjuncts you want.

So... without knowing very specifically how your club is running it, I don't know if it'd count or not......

IPAs work really well with Vienna, it accentuates the hop flavors nicely.... also I've had great luck with Amarillo and Golden Promise.....

Graham Wheeler's Timothy Taylor Landlord clone:

7.75lbs Marris Otter
1.1 oz Styrian Goldings 60 min
1 oz Fuggle 60 min
.45 oz Goldings 15 min

Wyeast West Yorkshire Ale (reportedly from their brewery)

og 1.045
fg 1.009
ibu 35

mash 151F 90 min

And don't forget, even with a single kind of grain, you can always toast 1# or 2# in the oven at 325 for 20-30-40 minutes depending on how dark you want it! Easy way to add complexity! (Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale is one that does it that way)

You should check out the link in my sig.

get rid of the adjuncts. some of the best beers i've tasted are SMaSH (single malt and single HOPS) so you might want to prove to your fellow brewers what can be done.

my SMaSH APA is great and simple:

10 lbs Vienna Malt
0.75 oz Northern Brewer hops 8.8%AA - 60 min
0.75 oz Northern Brewer hops 8.8%AA - 20 min
0.75 oz Northern Brewer hops 8.8%AA - 5 min
Nottingham yeast

so easy, so tasty
:mug:

I think if you search SMaSH or follow some links you'll find plenty to choose from.

The idea of SMaSH is to learn about the taste of the malt and hop in question.

Talked to the guy running the competition and it is just single malted grain. Everything else goes. I'm loving the feedback though, great ideas in here. Unfortunately I have just enough stuff to make that recipe.

Back