Brew Calendar: It's time to start thinking about Octoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlester

Reaction score
I know, summer isn't here yet. But, I want to plan ahead. I haven't done one yet, but plan to stick to my new brew calendar.

The questions of the day: How long should an Octoberfest Beer mature? If 6 months, it needs to be brewed this month. Otherwise, I need to move the date up.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Octoberfest won't need that long to lager. As a general guideline, plan on lagering for 1 week for every 0.010 of OG. For example, on a 1.060 OG, plan on about 6 weeks of lagering.

The primary will take about 2 weeks, then a few days for a D-rest, followed by cooling and lagering. Then depending on if you are bottling conditioning or kegging, you'll need a few more weeks. I think 3-4 months would be more than plenty.

Got it. I'm working on the recipe now and will brew by month end. I have a conical and Lagering fridge to let it sit for a while.

Thanks,

I usually do my oktoberfest around this time FWIW. Traditionally they were brewed in March, hence the name Marzen.

I have brewed my Oktoberfest as late as the beginning of August, 14 day ferment, 4 day Diacytl rest, and lagered through September. I bottled beginning of October and was ready by mid October. I was late to the game on that one. I would start at the latest in July.

Btw, it turned out amazing. It was stronger (6.8%) because my efficiency was in the high 80s, but still great. I'll probably start mine soon, in June.

I brewed mine in March, it's been lagering since mid-April. I had it lagering in a keg at 5 PSI (just to keep positive pressure so the lid seal would stay seated and prevent oxygen from getting in). Just this week, I bumped it up to 12 PSI to start to actually carbonate to the target volumes of CO2. It's already pouring beautifully clear, but I'll try to resist drinking it for at least a few more weeks to let it really mature nicely.

I brewed mine in March, it's been lagering since mid-April. I had it lagering in a keg at 5 PSI (just to keep positive pressure so the lid seal would stay seated and prevent oxygen from getting in). Just this week, I bumped it up to 12 PSI to start to actually carbonate to the target volumes of CO2. It's already pouring beautifully clear, but I'll try to resist drinking it for at least a few more weeks to let it really mature nicely.

I think "try" is the key word. Good luck with that :)

I used to do the traditional thing and brew my Ofests is Spring. Now I realize the fresh lagers (reasonable ABVs) are best. Sure you can keep them around for a while and they will be fine, but for me, they are best 8-10 weeks from brew date. I brew mine in August - I play in an Oompah band and typically have no free weekends in Oct., so I have to wait until Nov. for our party

Back