Brew Bucket 3 piece ball valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please take a photo of one of the ssbrewtech ball valves disassembled. I also have 2 of the 7 gallon buckets, I've taken both valves apart, neither of them will release the nylon washer holding the ball in, nor the ball, regardless of how the knob/lever is turned. This is my concern/complaint, I can't get behind the washers to clean. How do you get the nylon washer out? I stopped short of pulling on it with tools because I didn't want to destroy it in the process of trying to get it out to clean it.
All the ssbrewtech valves I have are the 3 piece not the simple 2 piece. Here is a Chinese 2 piece ballvalve . This one has TC ends on it but the other valves come apart the exact same way. (This valve needs to be cleaned BTW)

Attachments

• 20201016_115733.jpg
    20201016_115733.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 20201016_115756.jpg
    20201016_115756.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 20201016_115813.jpg
    20201016_115813.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
I just realized this is an older thread about the tiny ball valves ssbrewtech uses specifically on the stainless buckets.... I have a couple of those type at the brewery and I believe they require an allen key to unthread the nylon bushing to get the ball out. its been a while since I disassembled mine since I only use them for co2 gas on my brite tanks and never beer.

Ahh, gotcha. This is about the tiny 2 piece ball valves that they ship with the brew buckets. What do you mean an allen key to unthread the nylon bushing? Again, any advice you have, I'm all ears, I've tried to get them to come apart, but short of literally ripping the bushing out, I have been unsuccessful so far.

Ahh, gotcha. This is about the tiny 2 piece ball valves that they ship with the brew buckets. What do you mean an allen key to unthread the nylon bushing? Again, any advice you have, I'm all ears, I've tried to get them to come apart, but short of literally ripping the bushing out, I have been unsuccessful so far.
maybe you can post a pic? i do not have one here at home to pull apart but it they are assembled I assure you they can be disassembled.

I have 3 piece valves, and understand the pieces involved, as well as the rotation for removal of the ball thing that's going on. I have taken the face off of the 2 piece ssbt one, the image here shows as far as I've been able to get them (the bucket valves) apart, but the ball and nylon pieces are stuck in there still.

:
1602864744499.png

At lunch I'll go grab a photo of exactly what I'm looking at in terms of the bushing and the ball.

anyways my comment where originally comparing normal 2 piece valves to 3 peice and the advantages or disadvantages of one vs the other. Thet were not in regards to the valve on the brewbucket and catalyst fermenters.

I have 3 piece valves, and understand the pieces involved, as well as the rotation for removal of the ball thing that's going on. I have taken the face off of the 2 piece ssbt one, the image here shows as far as I've been able to get them (the bucket valves) apart, but the ball and nylon pieces are stuck in there still.

: View attachment 702706

At lunch I'll go grab a photo of exactly what I'm looking at in terms of the bushing and the ball.

: View attachment 702706

Ok again though that valve is not a representation of a normal 2 piece ballvalve which is what I was comparing when I said I dont know why folks here seem to prefer the come complicated and harder to disassemble and clean 3 piece design vs 2 piece.

I understand your position. I am only looking to clean my ssbt valve, not really interested in debating which is better - that's all a preference thing, I just like being able to clean them!

I understand your position. I am only looking to clean my ssbt valve, not really interested in debating which is better - that's all a preference thing, I just like being able to clean them!
Ok fair enough but your the one who commented on a conversation about replacing that valve with a 3 piece and your comment seemed to be directed at the comment I made comparing normal 2 piece and 3 piece designs which is why I responded in turn.

Anyways, If your little ss valve is like the little valves I have there is a hexigon hole in the nylon bushing to insert a allen key and thread it out -releasing the ball otherwise I would guess you would need to close the valve and literally push the bushing and ball out from the opposite end with something in the hole.

As I recall, after disassembling, I had to use a punch and tap the washer out. It got kind of chewed up. Since it did not come out easily I haven't done it again. I would LOVE a better valve for my Brew Buckets.

yeah, I will take pictures shortly, just tried removing it again, and it's not happening, I'm not crazy, it's just pressure fitted in there. Short of beating it out with a chopstick as a punch, it's not coming out.

I drove it out by placing a punch on the ball from the opposite side and using a hammer. It does cause some damage to the nylon washer, but that one is really more of a spacer. the other one is the one that provides the seal. I take mine apart after every batch.

Please take a photo of one of the ssbrewtech ball valves disassembled. I also have 2 of the 7 gallon buckets, I've taken both valves apart, neither of them will release the nylon washer holding the ball in, nor the ball, regardless of how the knob/lever is turned. This is my concern/complaint, I can't get behind the washers to clean. How do you get the nylon washer out? I stopped short of pulling on it with tools because I didn't want to destroy it in the process of trying to get it out to clean it.
Mine comes apart pretty easy now but it did take me a long time to figure out it could be fully disassembled. The 2 nylon washers are different with the one closer to the barb having more of a ridge or lip on one side that makes it snap into place. An easy way to get this one out is to open the ball valve about halfway and then use a rib hook to catch the edge of the washer and it pops right out. The washer behind the ball will just fall right out from just running some water through it. Hope this helps anyone still trying to get theirs apart. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG-6890.jpg
    IMG-6890.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-6891.jpg
    IMG-6891.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back