Brew-Boss vs Brewtroller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimIan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am interested in your thoughts on the Brew-Boss controller vs. the Brewtroller for a semi automated recirculating BIAB system. Brew-Boss seems to be set up out of the box but it's not expandable and xml recipe importing seems to be challenging. The Brewtroller is expandable, offers many advanced features, but it does require some level of configuration. Thanks for your opinions!

It's my opinion that if you mill your grains fine for BIAB a recirculating system is a waste of time and money. Here's why.

With a conventional mash tun you need to have the grain husks intact to form a filter bed so you can separate the grains and wort when you drain the mash tun. To do that your grain has to be milled somewhat coarse and that coarseness means that it will take much longer to complete conversion during which time your mash temp will drop and drop especailly far considering that you have less water in the mash to accommodate the double batch sparge needed to try to get your efficiency up to an acceptable level. To avoid that temp drop people either insulate the mash tun or use a recirculating system to maintain the temp.

With BIAB you can mill the grains much finer which allow for a much quicker conversion. Often the mash is much thinner too and the extra water helps keep the temperature more stable through thermal mass. With those 2 combined, the temperature drop during the period where conversion is occurring is so low that it is nearly unmeasurable with the standard mash thermometer.

If you are going to leave the grains coarsely milled so the recirculating wort doesn't clog up the bag, why are you wanting to go to BIAB instead of a conventional mash tun?

I agree about a problem not existing. Each person chooses to brew their own way. My original question was specific to the controllers functionality.

Back