Brew a nice Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddyhawk

Reaction score
I was looking to make a hefeweizen and have done decent chunk of research. I have concluded that a lot of the taste/quality comes from the yeast. Unfortunately getting liquid yeast such as 3068 would cost me $18 (shipping included) or a 2+ hour bus/train ride. I have looked into harvesting yeast from commercial beers, however, I have found that the hefes available to me all have bottling yeasts.

I have tried using wb06 in the past and was very underwhelmed. Although this could be due to other issues (it was my second brew). Any ideas, thoughts? I am currently living in Gold Coast, Australia.

Probably an obvious thought, but are you planning on taking that 2 hour bus/train ride for anything else in the near future?

You are correct that you need specific yeast to get the character right.

That is a tough one, all I can think of is to spend the $18 but culture and stored the yeast so you can reuse it (or just re pitch it). At least that reduces the cost per batch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

muddyhawk.

One of the guys in the brew club here on the Gold Coast has had success culturing the yeast out of a Burleigh Brewing Hef.

At $21 a 6 pack it may be easier to buy a Wyeast smack pack from Craftbrewer though.

I tasted the beer he made from it and it was great.

PS, if you are interested in hanging out with other brewers check out "GoldCLUB" on facebook.

Damian.

Back