Brew a lager with ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel

Reaction score
I am now 4 brews in but when I originally got my start up kit I bought a kit to brew an American Amber Ale and a Rauchbier Lager from Northern Brewer. I have since brewed the Amber Ale along with 3 other ales but I didn't realize at the time of ordering that lagers need to ferment at really low temperatures. Without having a way to ferment lagers I was wondering if there was something I could do to use an ale yeast which would allow me to ferment at 60-65 degrees. Thanks!

use a clean yeast like nottingham, ferment low and long, 60-62 for a 3 weeks, and "lager" in the fridge as long as you can.

You can try Wyeast 2112 or White Labs WLP810. These can be fermented like an ale, just at a lower temperature. It's what's used in California Commons (aka Steam beers). I've used it with other lagers before though, and they turned out well.

use a clean yeast like nottingham, ferment low and long, 60-62 for a 3 weeks, and "lager" in the fridge as long as you can.

I won't be able to get it in the fridge so I don't think I'll be able to do that.

You can try Wyeast 2112 or White Labs WLP810. These can be fermented like an ale, just at a lower temperature. It's what's used in California Commons (aka Steam beers). I've used it with other lagers before though, and they turned out well.

So if I use one of these I should make a starter (would I need a starter for wither one?), pitch and let ferment at 60 degrees for 4-5 weeks, then bottle condition for 2-3 weeks?

I won't be able to get it in the fridge so I don't think I'll be able to do that.

So if I use one of these I should make a starter (would I need a starter for wither one?), pitch and let ferment at 60 degrees for 4-5 weeks, then bottle condition for 2-3 weeks?

The pitching rate calculator at http://www.mrmalty.com will tell you if you should make a starter or not.

What's the weather in NJ? Do you have an outside closet? Start thinking outside the box.

-bn

Why not just grab a vial of WLP009 (German Ale) and try something new? No starter really needed since its an ale yeast. Plus, that strain can be lagered nicely but not needed. I brewed a Kolsch with that and it was a huge hit. In fact, a guy at work who doesn't brew bought the ingredients for me to brew it for him so he can have more. Good yeast too.

Can't you just lager in bottles in your fridge for two months or so? I have a Kolsch that ought to be ready for kegging here pretty soon, that sucker is going in the garage (temps permitting) or the keg fridge until March or so.

Can't you just lager in bottles in your fridge for two months or so? I have a Kolsch that ought to be ready for kegging here pretty soon, that sucker is going in the garage (temps permitting) or the keg fridge until March or so.

Well, if he is using priming sugar, no. If he is bottling from a keg, obviously yes. But either way, the temperature needs to be higher than what a fridge will be at to get the yeasties to fart CO2.

The pitching rate calculator at http://www.mrmalty.com will tell you if you should make a starter or not.

What's the weather in NJ? Do you have an outside closet? Start thinking outside the box.

-bn

It's very hit or miss. we have some days that are 15 degrees and others that are 45

Why not just grab a vial of WLP009 (German Ale) and try something new? No starter really needed since its an ale yeast. Plus, that strain can be lagered nicely but not needed. I brewed a Kolsch with that and it was a huge hit. In fact, a guy at work who doesn't brew bought the ingredients for me to brew it for him so he can have more. Good yeast too.

Cool. I'll take a look at that one too. Thanks!

I will be bottle conditioning so I couldn't do that

You don't need to make a starter for 5 gallons or less. I never have and the yeast has always worked perfectly for me. You probably won't need four weeks for fermenting. I just bottled one 2 weeks and 3 days after brewing, and it had already reached the correct FG.

Back