brew 10 gal batch in 5 gallon pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Ok, I've got two 5 gallon carboys, and want to brew one batch and pitch half into each carboy...to brew 10 gallons total. I have a 5 gallon brewpot...so could probably boil up 4 - 4.5 gallons of wort.

This would be an extract brew, can double the extract, double the hops, carefully measure everything into the carboys.

Is this possible? anything I should watch out for?

This would be a basic amber ale recepie. Something like:

14 lb amber LME
3 oz cascade hops boiling
1 oz cascade hops finishing
ale yeast

(recepie for 10 gallons)

As long as your doubling the boil volume of the original recipe, this should be OK. If you're boil volume is less than double (like if the original recipe called for 7 lb extract in a 3 gal boil, and you're going to 14 lb in 4 gallons) you'll have to more than double the hops to get the utilization right. A recipe calculator (ProMash, BeerTools, TastyBrew) will help you figure out the right adjustment.

Also, you'll probably want something big enough to blend all 10 gallons (either before you ferment, or at bottling) so that you end up with one consistent batch, rather than two slightly different ones.

Just be Careful boiling 4 - 4.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot, that will leave the wort about a 1/2 " from the top and the Hot Break might end up all over.

RICLARK said:
Just be Careful boiling 4 - 4.5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot, that will leave the wort about a 1/2 " from the top and the Hot Break might end up all over.

Yup. Especially with all that extra extract and hops going into the boil, you're asking for boilovers. Just brew 2 batches, it'll take longer but will create far fewer headaches

You will need to increase the bittering hops by a third or so, because the utilization will be down. Alternately you can do a late add with the extract. The other trick is to alternate carboys while draining the wort, so you keep the mix balanced.

Ok, I think I get it. My potential problems may be

1) just not enough stuff boiled - so need to increase the hops

2) mixing the wort evenly (can be avoided by putting wort in one carboy, then the other)

3) boil overs (yes, I'm worried about this)

I'm thinking of doing this, because of time (of course)...would like to brew up a big batch for a party. Of course, don't want bad beer for the party =)

of course, I could get off my lazy butt, and just brew two batches...he he he.

Boilovers and lack of hop utilization will be brutal on you. You'll also lose wort (and, thus, beer) because of all the extra hops in the kettle. Save your money and some gray hair. Spend the time to brew two batches.

TL

I say brew two separate batches. extract brewing isn't nearly as time involved as AG brewing...you have the time to do batches in the time it takes me to mash, sparge, and boil one AG batch.

plus you'll get much better hop utilization with a thinner wort in the pot.

thanks to all for the replies. going to go ahead and do two batches, and maybe then get two different types.

more time brewing = more time to drink homebrew :cross:

Back