Brettanomyces Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toman8r

Reaction score
So I am planning out a recipe for a saison and I would like to finish it with some brett. I would like some substantial brett character in this beer. How do you guys recommend I go about getting that brett character? I am thinking I will mash high, at 156 or so, to leave some residual sugar for the brett to feed on after primary fermentation is complete. I will add the brett for secondary fermentation. The brett will ferment all of these sugars, leaving me with a very dry beer, right? I've never brewed with bugs before (intentionally, anyway), do you guys think that this technique will provide me with some good funkiness? I will be using WLP653 Brettanomyces lambicus, as it it supposed to have the strongest brett character.
I will be fermenting in a glass carboy for the secondary fermentation. I assume I will need to pick up a separate auto siphon, tubing, bottling bucket, and bottling wand for this beer and future brett beers, but will I need a separate carboy too?
What temperature is best for a secondary brett fermentation? I'd like some substantial saison yeast character too, so I will be fermenting at the high end of its temperature range during primary fermentation.
Will I need to re aerate before adding the brett? Also, how long should I leave this beer in the secondary for?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I brew an awesome beer!

Thanks,
Ted
:mug:

If you want a lot of brett character, mashing high is the ticket. Also consider adding a bit of unmalted wheat for the brett to munch on after the regular fermentation is done.

I dont think you will need all new racking equip. A good dose of cleaning and a heavy dose of bleach and rinsing should do the trick.

No need to aerate before adding brett. It actually throws up a pellicle to protect itself against oxygen.

Most likely you will need to secondary for 4-6 months.

If you haven't already done so, I highly suggest "Wild Brews" by Jeff Sparrow for any and all info about wild beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back