Brettanomyces & DMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenghali

Reaction score
Background: So I brew a lot of brett beers and to keep cost down, I maintain cultures of different strains. I recently kegged up a B. Lambicus saison, upon tasting, there is a significant level of DMS, in fact, an offensive amount. I've never had problems with DMS before, I boil vigorously for 90 minutes every batch and have healthy fermentations.

So my question is: Has anyone ever encountered DMS problems from brett? My B. Lambicus culture is around a year old now, nearing ten generations (feedings), so I am wondering if it has gone "bad" for lack of a better term. I've tried to find info online but have only found vague mentions of wild yeast being able to produce DMS with no references.

Thanks for any info.

How long into aging was your tasting? If its too soon it might just be doing its work. Also I have not worked with a strain that many generations in, so I don't know if it takes longer to develop the unique flavors for brett l.

It was brewed 3/20/14 as a mixed fermentation. So 7 months is a pretty substantial amount of time. The usual flavors are there and an awesome pie cherry aroma w/ a mild funk, just finishes with a ton of DMS. Also, at the time it was brewed that culture would have only been a few generations in, so now I am more confused.

Back