Brett Zombie Dust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
Was listening to the BN and one of the hosts was talking about a brett C+citra beer so I figured I'd just take the zombie dust recipe and roll with it. Im wondering if itll take too long to ferment out with brett thus lose the hoppy goodness.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.064
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.017
Estimated Color: 6.7 SRM
Bitterness: 56.6 IBU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.2 %
Single Infusion Mash @ 152
Ferment mid 60's

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 77.6 %
2.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 15.5 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.9 %
0.38 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.0 %
2.50 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 23.2 IBU
1.50 oz Citra [12.40%] (20 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 18.7 IBU
2.50 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 17.0 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
6.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) After fermentation is complete
Brettanomyces Claussenii WLP645

Nah, it should ferment out fairly quickly the same as sacc. It will be 95% done within a week or so as long as you give it a big starter. The problem is that it takes about 6-8 weeks to reach terminal gravity. I don't know if that is long enough to start to lose aroma and flavor.

You could probably bottle it in heavy bottles and survive any incremental additional fermentation in the bottle if you gave it 2-3 weeks in the fermenter. However, bottle bombs are always a risk...

Probably referring to Ithaca Super Friends IPA. If so, it's brewing with brett b. and c. I tried a clone awhile ago and it turned out weird. Very herbal in not such a good way.

:( I've got almost a pound of citra I wanted to use in a unique way.
I wild devil is the closest thing I've had to this. It was great even at two years old. But I'm sure the polar difference in hops could make or break the recipe

If you do this based off the zombie dust thread I started, I would use the recipe I posted on the 5th page. It is closer and has great results so far.

I am curious how the Brett would be. Let us know if you so it.

I did a brew very similar to this 3years or so ago, but with Amarillo and brett C. I have two 22's left and have not had an issue with them becoming over carbonated. Mine went down to 1.004 from 1.059 in about a month. Smelled like TJ after a rain storm when fermenting, but tasted great when it was done.

Yea I stole that recipe =P I'll be sure to update it. I think I'm gonna give it a shot. Gonna be like 6 weeks before I have it fermenting I'll definitely post pic and results.

You going to make a starter? At NHC there was a talk about brewing with brett, and one of the points was about brett preforming well when under pitching.when I brewed my beer I pitch a 4L starter, I plan on doing it again and lust pitching the WLP tube.

In addition to slightly underpitching, another way to stress the yeast is to do very minimal oxygenating (e.g., just transfer it from the kettle to the fermeter). There is an old basic brewing episode (i think) that discusses this.

If you have not already check this out,Chad Yakobson's Brewing with brett .

When I made a starter, my beer came out tasting a lot like a clean English ale. I wanted more Brett flavors, but they did not develop till it was in the bottle for a long time.

While I would be dissapointed with lack of brett character a clean beer would still be tolerable with this beer though.
I was actually intending to keg this and let it sit for a while after leaving primary. Perhaps it would be better to bottle though eh?

It can help to add some Acidulated malt to all Brett fermented beers. They like a lower pH than sacch. I use 5% in pale colored all Brett beers.

I dont know much about the recipe, but I recently had a Brett IPA from the "town hall tap" brew pub in Minneapolis. It was delicious.

I'm actually really proud of this beer. I purposely didn't oxygenate it and fermented at 77f. It has a pronounced pineapple dirt catty funk to it and an obviously huge citric hop introduction. I wish it were a bit more dry as a personal preference, I think the decoction added a little too much heft for the fruity juggernaut this thing is. Also I think I would up the FWH and call this thing a wild IPA (I entered it as an APA like the original) there is so much brett flavor when served around 60f, I'd have no fear of it being masked. I'll have my results in like 10 days.

I'm actually really proud of this beer. I purposely didn't oxygenate it and fermented at 77f. It has a pronounced pineapple dirt catty funk to it and an obviously huge citric hop introduction. I wish it were a bit more dry as a personal preference, I think the decoction added a little too much heft for the fruity juggernaut this thing is. Also I think I would up the FWH and call this thing a wild IPA (I entered it as an APA like the original) there is so much brett flavor when served around 60f, I'd have no fear of it being masked. I'll have my results in like 10 days.
Did you make a starter or just pitch the vial? I have a vial that has been sitting in the fridge a couple of months and really want to make something pineapple like.

I did a 1L starter on a stirplate at 80F for like a week. It took FOREVER to take off. But once I had the starter the brett took no time to ferment out the actual beer. I'm glad I was advised against pitching just the vial. It is SLOWWW

Recieved honorable mentions in the Peach State Brew Off for this beer. Not quite a medal but damn close.
Scored a clean 41!

I'm making Brandon's C+C beer and used a big starter. I've heard conflicting reports on if I should keg or bottle this. I know if I bottle it, it will get more of the traditional brett funk but will likely lose all that good hop flavor. I'm thinking of kegging it to keep that Citra flavor alive, I just hope it will at least be a little tart. Thoughts?

Because brett is used as the primary strain it is pretty clean. I preferred the big pineapple flavors out of the keg over the mellowness of the bottle.

Back