Brett to a golden strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdochughes

Reaction score
Hi Im a newbie to wild beers. I just added a pack of Brett L. to a golden strong. Here's my question: primary fermentation was finished and ABV was 8.3% . Will it shock the Brett to be introduced into a beer this strong so late into fermentation?
I don't see signs of activity a week later, any suggestions?

Wyeast lists Brett L.'s alcohol tolerance up to 12% so no worries there. What was the gravity of the beer when you added the Brett? Youre probably not going to "see" a ton of activity right away, although you may, the only way to really know is to take another gravity reading.

But a week is nothing, let that thing sit for 1-3 months then take your reading. I actually did a similar beer about 18 months ago, still not that happy with it but mostly bc the carb level is far too low.

yup, you won't see many signs of fermentation if you add brett after primary. it will be slow-acting. you should notice, after a few weeks, that there is positive pressure in your airlock - the "dome" of a 3-piece will be pushed up, instead of resting on the inner tube, for example. you'll want to give that at least 3 months, if not longer.

You may see some action and may not but it will take a while. You may see a pellicle start to form Give it s minimum 3 months for a rule of thumb. Your going to have to wait for Brett to do its thing now and get really dry. Especially if your bottling.

Back