Brett L starter tastes sour!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugrad02

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I posted this question to the Milk The Funk Facebook page and wanted to get a few more opinions.

For the past months, I've been dabbling in all Brett beers using Brett B and Brett B Trois. I recently decided to try an all Brett beer using Brett L (White Labs strain).

I built up a starter over the past 10 days or so keeping the starter on my stir plate, cold crashed and just this morning decanted off the spent wort. I tasted the wort and was surprised at how sour it was. It was a clean sourness but still sour. I am crazy careful about sanitation but am scratching my head. Could keeping it on the stir plate allowed the Brett to throw quite a bit of acids? Both of my Brett B Trois starters didn't have this sourness.

I decided to just go ahead and pitch it in my porter wort as I was in a pinch. If the starter threw off acid, will it continue to do so while fermenting? Any insight would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Some brett strains will make noticeable acid when continually aerated.

Some brett strains will make noticeable acid when continually aerated.

I'd even go further and say that all Brett strains (I'm aware of) will produce acetic acid under aeration.

Back