Brett in imperial stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanOgr

Reaction score
Hello,
I have started to spot what I think is brett in my imperial stout, small white spots on the surface. Is this normal or due to bad sanitation? How will this affect the taste of my beer? Should I keep it in the secondary or bottle asap?

I am using us05, and have added a few espressos & choko nibs

Foreign yeast in your fermenter would be an infection. That doesn't mean its "bad", but if you didn't mean to put it there, it means your sanitation wasn't up to snuff.

Ok, I get your point. The thing is that I don't know if Its brett or CO2. The stuff looks pretty similar to me if it's in a small quantity. Doesn't smell funky at all.

We really have no way to know if your guess is right or wrong. Pics?. You can also measure gravity. It will keep dropping for quite some time if you have some runaway brett in there.

What you're describing sounds like yeast rafts to me, as opposed to brett or C02. I don't know how many brews you've got under your belt, but I've definitely made this mistake before. Pics would definitely help diagnose.

On the bright side, if it goes sour, all is not necessarily lost. Jester King out of Texas has a sour Imperial Stout called Funk Metal. That's a tasty beer. The sour and the roast compliment each other a lot better than I thought thy would.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back