Brett cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

npray

Reaction score
I have a bottle of Anchorage brewing galaxy white ipa that is bottle conditioned with wine yeast and brett. I want to pour the dregs into 2 gallons of apple juice, What do you guys think the outcome will be?

I have a bottle of Anchorage brewing galaxy white ipa that is bottle conditioned with wine yeast and brett. I want to pour the dregs into 2 gallons of apple juice, What do you guys think the outcome will be?

Seems like an underpitch, which could lead to a drawn-out fermentation with some interesting results. I say go for it, maybe try to score some more of that white ipa and pour more dregs in.

After 5 days with no sign of activity at all i put in 1 tablespoon of Mangrove Jacks M10, It was from a yeast cake from a previous batch. A few hours later the airlock was bubbling away nicely. How long should i leave it in primary?

until it's done. no need to secondary unless you're adding something for flavoring.

until it's done. no need to secondary unless you're adding something for flavoring.

+1. The Brett will do better with some dead yeast at the bottom of the fermenter to feed on, especially considering all the simple sugars from the apples.

Leave it for as long as you can. Brett pitched in those amounts takes a long time to really do work (ie 6 months plus in secondary) next time the best thing to do is make a small yeast starter and step it up to propagate the appropriate amount of yeast cells, then pitch unless your just trying to bottle condition with brett and/ or secondary, but by the sounds of things you tried a primary ferment.
Good luck
Also really liked that white ipa when I had it last!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've had the cider in bottles now for a month, they are still flat but they taste pretty good. I'm keeping the rest in the closet for a few more months before i try another one, I didn't get any brett character at all but all in all it turned out ok.

Sounds like maybe the M10 out-competed the brett? I'm no expert on mixing yeasts, but it seems like the brett was underpitched, and the M10 came in and ate its lunch. But maybe the brett will come through after more aging.

I've got 3 gallons of 100% Brett aging in primary, I haven't tasted it yet, but I'm hoping it'll turn out good.

yesterday i tried my brett cider for the first time. it's been in primary for about 3 months at this point. it's pretty awesome! there's a little bit of funky tang, and some underlying appleness. i couldn't get a big sample because i'm keeping it at work, and all i had was a straw to use as a thief, but i'm liking it so far. i think i'm going to leave it at least another month, maybe another 3, and see how much more it develops. so far, i'm calling it a success.

IMG_9499.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

That's a funky looking cider!

I've got my first sour beer on the go and I was wondering if anyone has had success with sour cider. Did you use dregs from a beer or buy the brett? Do you think bottle dregs from a beer would mess with the apple flavour?

Back