Brett C no activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannyhawkins

Reaction score
Ok so I've been building a starter of WLP-645 Brett C for a few months in a gallon jug. I moved to an apartment so I had not brewed till last Friday night.

I don't have temp control anymore so I figured all Brett could be a good idea.
I did 3 gallon BIAB
4lb Marris Otter
.5 lb flaked barley
.5lb carapils
.25lb special roast
OG 1.054
Mashed at 152 cooled and siphoned half gallon of starter into the carboy.
48 hours later there was no activity resembling fermentation. I just checked and it has negative pressure in the airlock and starting a pellicle. What do I do and what does that mean?
Is the pH off? I've read a few recipes have acid malt to help bring down pH in lighter beers.
The starter never formed krausen either but this is frustrating. I have a vial of yeast I can pitch but I would rather wait it out if it has any chance I have not taken a gravity reading since pitching.

Maybe there just wasnt enough viable brett in the starter.
Give her a good shake and see what happens by this time tomorrow.

I assume the starter showed signs of fermentation. The beer should be going by now. Take a gravity reading to see if anything has happened.

Brett C can be slow. The presence of a pellicle is promising. It shows that you do have viable yeast. Give it another 24 hours and report back.

Well I do have to admit the vial was old when I got it from the LHBS. I didn't complain cause I noticed later when I got home and I was surprised that they had it in the first place. So I made a starter and added 100g light DME to 1L. I never saw any activity on top or airlock activity. I know that doesn't actually mean s**t but I don't feel like taking gravity on starters generally I can tell if something has changed over a few days and I know it's good.
This one came with a pinch of sediment in the vial so when the starter formed a pellicle and left a layer of sediment on the bottom of the gallon jug I felt like it worked after all. I then let it sit for a month and it cleared nicely. I added another 100/1 starter once a month for the next three months and each time no krausen and no airlock activity. But the sediment built each time till I had an inch on the bottom of a full gallon jug and it smelled good like green apples like some say its supposed to. I never took gravity so that's a lesson learned for me.
When it came time to pitch I swirled the sediment into suspension and siphoned half of the gallon onto the beer. Next day I guess I expected a full on fermentation but nothing has happened. Now that I think about it it does coincide with the behavior of the starter but I am a little worried.
Here are some pics

image-2087443442.jpg

image-457224645.jpg

The beer is cloudy like the starters were an pellicle is present so maybe it's just not a wild one ill take gravity reading and post back.
Thanks

Edit:
The OG was 1.054 it is now at 1.040 so that's no too bad maybe I still under pitched. I'll decant and pitch the whole thing next time.
The sample had me worried cause it smelled exactly like fresh wort but it was not overly sweet so something is going on. It was thin, watery, bitter, and sweet only by smell. There was also a vacuum in the carboy but that's just likely from temperature change but still odd cause I feel like there is no CO2. I guess I'll let it go a month and check it again let me know if the details help diagnose any problems. Like I said I guess it's under pitching now.

Back