Brett Berliner Weisse Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSkypala

Reaction score
I brewed my first berliner weisse back in November, it was bottled in March and it is tasting great right now. Very tart with a hint of brett (used Wyeast Blend).

I have a vial of White Labs Lacto on the way, I also have a vial of Brett C coming. I was planning on using the brett for a 100% brett belgian single, but last night I had the idea to make a huge starter for it and pitch it in the berliner weisse 2 days after the lacto does its thing instead of a sacch. strain. I figure if I mash low it should be able to fully attenuate and be good to bottle in a few weeks.

Any thoughts or objections to this idea?

I have a very similar beer in a carboy right now. It was "sour worted" then got a huge pitch of brett C. Gravity samples are tasting RAD, I reccommend you go for it.

Thanks. Im definitely gonna go for it. I plan on brewing an 11 gallon batch. My plan is to lacto all 11 gallons for 48 hours (I have a big glass demijohn I found in the trash) then split off 2 5-gallon bitches and give one of them Brett-C and the other a slurry from White Labs American Farmhouse Blend.

I really like the traditional Berliner I have it bottles but I think it would be nice to have some variations.

I'm thinking of pitching the brett c with the lacto; considering that brett may take longer to get going maybe it won't begin until after the lacto has done its thing anyway.

I'm thinking of pitching the brett c with the lacto; considering that brett may take longer to get going maybe it won't begin until after the lacto has done its thing anyway.

How did this turn out? I know it's been a while, but I have the same idea. I plan to brew a berliner and pitch lacto brevis and brett at the same time.

Back