Brett B questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTrain24

Reaction score
So long story short, a US05 ale didnt finish, stalled at 1.022 for days, i believe because i pitched too hot.

So I pitched a brett brux (WLP650) vile that my homebrew shop gave to me as it was expiring a month ago.

I have never used brett before, after warming it up it did not smell pleasant in the vile, it smelled like the bottom of an unfinished beer bottle that has been sitting in a garage for a week. But that isnt far from some of the aroma descriptions I am reading about.

So my questions are, is this normal for the vile to smell? What should i expect next?

I had a spunding valve on, pressure fermenting as I usually do, will i need to leave that on for the duration of the brett? Or can i remove it? How much Co2 will be produced by the brett?

Thanks for any help!

Two issues for you:

1. How do you know your beer stalled and didn't finish at an appropriate FG? What was the OG?

2. Do you know what brett is and what you are going to be introducing into your equipment? Specifically, do you have a plan to eliminate it from your equipment?

So long story short, a US05 ale didnt finish, stalled at 1.022 for days, i believe because i pitched too hot.

So I pitched a brett brux (WLP650) vile that my homebrew shop gave to me as it was expiring a month ago.

I have never used brett before, after warming it up it did not smell pleasant in the vile, it smelled like the bottom of an unfinished beer bottle that has been sitting in a garage for a week. But that isnt far from some of the aroma descriptions I am reading about.

So my questions are, is this normal for the vile to smell? What should i expect next?

I had a spunding valve on, pressure fermenting as I usually do, will i need to leave that on for the duration of the brett? Or can i remove it? How much Co2 will be produced by the brett?

Thanks for any help!
It can smell bad, to me, most vials do smell bad.
Brett, like any other yeast will produce half a volume of CO2 per point of gravity consumed

Two issues for you:

1. How do you know your beer stalled and didn't finish at an appropriate FG? What was the OG?

2. Do you know what brett is and what you are going to be introducing into your equipment? Specifically, do you have a plan to eliminate it from your equipment?

It was intended to be 1.008, and was a split batch and the other made it down to that. But the pitching temp was cooler on that other batch 70f vs 95f. So I can't be certain, but that is my best guess.

I did hear about that being an issue, but i do not have a good plan yet. So far I plan on only using that keg from now on for Brett. The more I have read about it the more interesting it seems to be, so I could dedicate a keg for it. I would take any suggestions about that if you have some, I will definitely be reading more about that.

It can smell bad, to me, most vials do smell bad.
Brett, like any other yeast will produce half a volume of CO2 per point of gravity consumed

Thanks thats good to hear. I will ride it out. Any idea how long, or do you check on it? I have a floating dip tube so I could pull some off every few weeks with a picnic tap,

You can sanitize for Brett, it is just a yeast, no reason to dedicate equipment providing you have good sanitizing practices.

With alcohol present, Brett will not reproduce quickly, so will progress slowly (6 to 12+ months). Brett-B will produce barnyard flavors, so drink quick if you do not like that. Think Orval.

Temp should not have affected FG (maybe a point). And higher temps will normally produce lower FGs. If it started to ferment, then there was yeast, and it did reproduce. The higher temp may have knocked out some of the yeast, resulting in a slower ferment, but it would not explain a 14 point difference.

So you don’t just throw Brett in a beer so it will finishing lower lol. So if you’re unfamiliar with Brett, Brett will always finish out, depending on the size of the pitch or health/age of the Brett will determine how quickly it will get to finial gravity. Your beer will most likely finish sub 1.002. Also, As previously mentioned, Brett he is very funk forward... so the longer you store it warm or at celllarjbg temps, the Brett character will continue to develops.

Now to say you made a good or bad beer, only time will tell. I like Brett b personally. It starts off cherry like and then turns funky. I’ve recently started using it in a blending program and it’s great. So it’s all going to be personal preference

Last edited:
It was intended to be 1.008, and was a split batch and the other made it down to that. But the pitching temp was cooler on that other batch 70f vs 95f. So I can't be certain, but that is my best guess.

I did hear about that being an issue, but i do not have a good plan yet. So far I plan on only using that keg from now on for Brett. The more I have read about it the more interesting it seems to be, so I could dedicate a keg for it. I would take any suggestions about that if you have some, I will definitely be reading more about that.

Thanks thats good to hear. I will ride it out. Any idea how long, or do you check on it? I have a floating dip tube so I could pull some off every few weeks with a picnic tap,
Taking in to account your FG, it may take up to a year so check every month of two

Came back to update the thread, I threw it in the fridge yesterday. The beer turned out wonderful, it tastes just like commercial examples I have had recently that were aged for 8 months according to the breweries! I am sure it would be even better with time.

Go Brett Go

Back